Investigation of the Tesla Transformer as a Device for One-Wire Power and Signaling and as a Device for Power and Signaling Through the Ground
A new method for power and communications through single wire or the ground as a medium is investigated. The focus of the research is based on the proper construction and operation of a Tesla Transformer, so as to be able to transmit power and/or signals through one wire or the ground. The conclusions are based upon experimental data. There are successful results for single wire power supply with efficiency of about 20%. There is room for improvement of the circuits, so better efficiency is expected. The utilization of the soil as a medium for currents propagation didn’t give any useful results. Due to its complex properties, the ground transmission requires lower working frequency, hence bigger and more complicated coils, special drive circuit and good grounding.
KeywordsSingle wire power Single wire signalling Power through the ground Ground communications Tesla coil Tesla transformer Quarter wave resonator
- 1.Tesla, N.: Patent #787412: Art of transmitting electrical energy through the natural mediums (1905)Google Scholar
- 2.Nicholson, P.: Tesla Secondary Simulation Project: Document pn2511Google Scholar
- 3.Langford-Smith: Radiotron Designer’s Handbook, p. 452 (1957)Google Scholar
- 4.Corum, K.L., Corum, J.F.: Tesla Coils and the Failure of Lumped-Element Circuit Theory (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Peterson, G.L.: Yahoo! Group “wireless_energy_transmission”, post #2083Google Scholar