Mallet toe is a common deformity affecting a single or multiple lesser digits. It involves flexion deformity of the distal interphalangeal joint of the toe. Mallet toe deformity presents more frequently in females and commonly affects the longest lesser digit. Increased weight-bearing pressure at the apex of a mallet toe is associated with pain, hyperkeratosis with extravasation, nail deformity and ulceration. Conservative management consists of footwear changes to reduce crowding of the digits, toe props or wedges, cushioned toe sleeves and palliative reduction of hyperkeratotic lesions. Several different surgical techniques are described for the management of mallet toe deformity, including percutaneous flexor digitorum longus tenotomy, arthrodesis and arthroplasty of the distal interphalangeal joint and distal phalangectomy.
KeywordsMallet toe Digital deformity Flexor tenotomy Tenotomy Arthrodesis Distal interphalangeal joint Phalangectomy Fixation Fifth toe Hammertoe syndrome Clawtoe Congenital Abnormalities
- 2.Coughlin MJ. Lesser toe deformities. In: Coughlin MJ, Mann RA, Saltzmann CL, editors. Surgery of the foot and ankle. Volume 1. 8th ed. Philadelphia: Mosby; 2007. p. 363–464.Google Scholar
- 3.McGlamry E, Jimenez A, Green D. Lesser ray deformities. In: Banks A, Downey M, Martin D, Miller S, editors. McGlamry’s comprehensive textbook of foot and ankle surgery. Volume 1. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2001. p. 253–304.Google Scholar
- 4.Murphy G. Mallet toe deformity. Foot Ankle Clin. 1998;3:279–92.Google Scholar
- 5.Brahms M. The small toes. In: Jahss M, editor. Disorders of the foot and ankle. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 1991. p. 1187.Google Scholar
- 8.Turhanoglu AD, Guler H, Kalici A, Inanoglu D, Ozer C. Can foot pain and musculoskeletal disorders be counted as risk factors for falls in the elderly? Turk Geriatri Dergisi. 2010;13:225–30.Google Scholar
- 20.Stapp M, Camasta C. Flexor tenotomy: a simplified technique. In:The podiatry institute update. Dekalb: The Podiatry Institute; 2008. p. 1–3.Google Scholar