A Compact Active Stereovision System with Dynamic Reconfiguration for Endoscopy or Colonoscopy Applications
A new concept of endoscopic device based on a compact optical probe which can capture 3D shape of objects using an active stereovision method is presented. The distinctive feature of this probe is its capability to dynamically switch between two distinct points of view. If the first measurement angle of view does not give results with sufficient quality, the system can switch to a second mode which sets distinct angle of view within less than 25 milliseconds. This feature consequently allows selecting the angle that provides the more useful 3D information and enhances the quality of the captured result.
The instrumental setup of this measurement system and the reconstruction algorithms are presented in this paper. Then, the advantages of this new endoscopic probe are explained with an experimental 3D reconstruction of a coin’s surface. Finally, first measurements on a phantom colon are provided. In future works, further miniaturization of the device and its integration into a real colonoscope will be implemented.
KeywordsMinimally Invasive Surgery Image Guide View Angle Wireless Capsule Endoscopy Fringe Projection
- 4.Maurice, X., Albitar, C., Doignon, C., de Mathelin, M.: A structured light-based laparoscope with real-time organs’ surface reconstruction for minimally invasive surgery. In: 2012 Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (EMBC), pp. 5769–5772. IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Collins, T., Compte, B., Bartoli, A.: Deformable shape-from-motion in laparoscopy using a rigid sliding window. In: Medical Image Understanding and Analysis Conference (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Wong, C., Chen, N., Sheppard, C.: Study on potential of structured illumination microscopy utilizing digital micromirror device for endoscopy purpose. In: International Symposium on Biophotonics, Nanophotonics and Metamaterials, Metamaterials 2006, pp. 218–221. IEEE (2006)Google Scholar
- 11.Dupont, E., Lamarque, F., Prelle, C., Redarce, T., et al.: Tri-dimensional optical inspection based on flexible image guide: first step toward 3D industrial endoscopy. In: Proc. of the 11th Biennial Conference on Engineering Systems Design and Analysis, vol. 19 (2012)Google Scholar
- 12.Cui, H., Liao, W., Dai, N., Cheng, X.: Registration and integration algorithm in structured light three-dimensional scanning based on scale-invariant feature matching of multi-source images. Chinese Optics Letters 10(9), 091001–091001 (2012)Google Scholar
- 13.Dupont, E., Hou, Y., Lamarque, F., Redarce, T.: Binary pattern codification strategies in an active stereoscopic system based on flexible image guides. In: SPIE MOEMS-MEMS, International Society for Optics and Photonics, pp. 86180H–86180H (2013)Google Scholar