Decision Rules-Based Probabilistic MCDM Evaluation Method – An Empirical Case from Semiconductor Industry
Dominance-based rough set approach has been widely applied in multiple criteria classification problems, and its major advantage is the inducted decision rules that can consider multiple attributes in different contexts. However, if decision makers need to make ranking/selection among the alternatives that belong to the same decision class—a typical multiple criteria decision making problem, the obtained decision rules are not enough to resolve the ranking problem. Using a group of semiconductor companies in Taiwan, this study proposes a decision rules-based probabilistic evaluation method, transforms the strong decision rules into a probabilistic weighted model—to explore the performance gaps of each alternative on each criterion—to make improvement and selection. Five example companies were tested and illustrated by the transformed evaluation model, and the result indicates the effectiveness of the proposed method. The proposed evaluation method may act as a bridge to transform decision rules (from data-mining approach) into a decision model for practical applications.
KeywordsDominance-based rough set approach (DRSA) multiple-criteria decision making (MCDM) VIKOR financial performance (FP) performance gap
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Shen, K.-Y.: Implementing value investing strategy by artificial neural network. International Journal of Business and Information Technology 1(1), 12–22 (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Greco, S., Matarazzo, B., Slowinski, R.: Multicriteria classification by dominance-based rough set approach. In: Handbook of Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery. Oxford University Press, New York (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Zaras, K.: The Dominance-based rough set approach (DRSA) applied to bankruptcy prediction modeling for small and medium businesses. In: Multiple Criteria Decision Making/The University of Economics in Katowice, pp. 287–295 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Ko, Y.-C., Tzeng, G.-H.: A Dominance-based rough set approach of mathematical programming for inducing national competitiveness. In: Watada, J., Phillips-Wren, G., Jain, L.C., Howlett, R.J. (eds.) Intelligent Decision Technologies. SIST, vol. 10, pp. 23–36. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.MOPS, http://emops.twse.com.tw/emops_all.htm (accessed in 2013)
- 22.Błaszczyński, J., Greco, S., Matarazzo, B., Slowinski, R., Szelag, M.: jMAF-Dominance-based rough set data analysis framework. In: Skowron, A., Suraj, Z. (eds.) Rough Sets and Intelligent Systems-Professor Zdzisław Pawlak in Memoriam. ISRL, vol. 42, pp. 185–209. Springer, Heidelberg (2013)CrossRefGoogle Scholar