Improved Branch-Cut-and-Price for Capacitated Vehicle Routing
The best performing exact algorithms for the Capacitated Vehicle Routing Problem are based on the combination of cut and column generation. Some authors could obtain reduced duality gaps by also using a restricted number of cuts over the Master LP variables, stopping separation before the pricing becomes prohibitively hard. This work introduces a technique for greatly decreasing the impact on the pricing of the Subset Row Cuts, thus allowing much more such cuts to be added. The newly proposed Branch-Cut-and-Price algorithm also incorporates and combines for the first time (often in an improved way) several elements found in previous works, like route enumeration and strong branching. All the instances used for benchmarking exact algorithms, with up to 199 customers, were solved to optimality. Moreover, some larger instances with up to 360 customers, only considered before by heuristic methods, were solved too.
KeywordsExact Algorithm Column Generation Dual Variable Vehicle Capacity Label Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Contardo, C.: A new exact algorithm for the multi-depot vehicle routing problem under capacity and route length constraints. Technical report, Archipel-UQAM 5078, Université du Québec à Montréal, Canada (2012)Google Scholar
- 6.Golden, B., Wasil, E., Kelly, J., Chao, I.: The impact of metaheuristics on solving the vehicle routing problem: Algorithms, problem sets, and computational results. In: Fleet Management and Logistics, pp. 33–56. Springer (1998)Google Scholar
- 10.Martinelli, R., Pecin, D., Poggi, M.: Efficient elementary and restricted non-elementary route pricing for routing problems (2012) (submitted)Google Scholar
- 11.Pessoa, A., Poggi de Aragão, M., Uchoa, E.: Robust branch-cut-and-price algorithms for vehicle routing problems. In: Golden, B., Raghavan, S., Wasil, E. (eds.) The Vehicle Routing Problem: Latest Advances and New Challenges, pp. 297–325. Springer (2008)Google Scholar
- 14.Poggi de Aragão, M., Uchoa, E.: Integer program reformulation for robust branch-and-cut-and-price. In: Annals of Mathematical Programming in Rio, Búzios, Brazil, pp. 56–61 (2003)Google Scholar
- 16.Røpke, S.: Branching decisions in branch-and-cut-and-price algorithms for vehicle routing problems. Presentation in Column Generation 2012 (2012)Google Scholar