Palaeogene Carbonates of Oman: Lithofacies and Stratigraphy
Limestones deposited on the southeastern Arabian shelf during the Palaeogene were studied from surface and subsurface locations in North and South Oman. The investigation included an examination of lithofacies, biota distribution, and depositional palaeoenvironment related to stratigraphy. The facies associations and benthic biota distributions can be differentiated according to the time intervals of late Palaeocene–early Eocene, middle Eocene, and Oligocene. Arabian platform development and regional controls on the distribution of facies and biota are discussed.
KeywordsPalaeocene–Eocene Oligocene Limestones Carbonates Palaeoenvironment Biotic changes Surface and subsurface Arabian Platform Oman
- Bechennec, F., Le Metour, J., Platel, J. P., & Roger, J. (1993). Stratigraphy of the end-Cretaceous—tertiary sedimentary cover. In Geological Map of the Sultanate of Oman, Explanatory Notes, Directorate General of Minerals, Ministry of Petroleum and Minerals, pp. 60–73.Google Scholar
- Forbes, G., Jansen, H., & Schreurs, J. (2010). Lexicon of Oman subsurface stratigraphy (p. 371). Bahrain: GeoArabia Special Publication 5.Google Scholar
- Glennie, K. W., Bouef, M. G. A., Hughes-Clark, M. W., Moody-Stuard, M., Pilaar, W. F. H., & Reinhardt, B. M. (1974). The Geology of the Oman Mountains. Verhandelingen van het Koninklijk Nederlands geologisch Mijnbouwkundig 31, 432 p.Google Scholar
- Nolan, S. C., Skelton, P. W., Clissold, B. P., & Swewing, J. D. (1990). Maastrichtian to Early Tertiary stratigraphy and palaeogeography of the Central and Northern Oman Mountains. In A. H. F. Robertson, M. P. Searle & A. C. Ries (Eds.), The geology and tectonics of the oman region. Geological Society Special Publiction, London, 49, 495–519.Google Scholar
- Sharland, P. R., Archer, R., Casey, D. M., Davies, R. B., Hall, S. H., & Heward, A. P. et al. (2001). Arabian plate sequence stratigraphy (p. 371). Bahrain: GeoArabia Special Publication 2, 371 p.Google Scholar