AdapteR Interoperability ENgine (ARIEN): An approach of Interoperable CDSS for Ubiquitous Healthcare
Information exchange for interoperability between medical systems and clinical decision support systems (CDSS) is a challenging task to provide personalized healthcare services. Healthcare standards behaves as catalyst for interoperability and plays important role in ubiquitous healthcare. Heterogeneity among these standards creates bottleneck for decision support systems to easily integrate with legacy medical systems. Medical systems and CDSS standards compatibility requires mediation process to ensure seamless information exchange. We propose such mediation system between medical systems and CDSS called AdapteR Interoperability ENgine (ARIEN) to achieve data level interoperability. We consider information flow from smart homes and medical systems in HL7 Clinical Document Architecture (CDA) format with CDSS compliant to Virtual Medical Record (vMR) standard. The responsibility of the proposed system is transformation of smart homes and medical systems compliant standard format information into CDSS compliant standard format for processing of information and vice versa. This work achieves information exchange compatibility among systems for providing better healthcare to patients. It also ensures availability of required information at the specified time for ubiquitous healthcare.
KeywordsCDSS HL7 HMIS Interoperability Ontology
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Bodenreider, O., et al.: Biomedical ontologies in action: role in knowledge management, data integration and decision support. Yearb Med. Inform. 67, 79 (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Hein, A., Nee, O., Willemsen, D., Scheffold, T., Dogac, A., Laleci, G.B., et al.: Saphire-intelligent healthcare monitoring based on semantic interoperability platform-the homecare scenario. In: 1st European Conference on eHealth (ECEH 2006), Fribourg, Switzerland, pp. 191–202 (2006)Google Scholar
- 4.Hussain, M., Afzal, M., Khan, W.A., Lee, S.: Clinical decision support service for elderly people in smart home environment. In: 12th International Conference On Control, Automation, Robotics and Vision (ICARCV 2012) (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.Khan, W.A., Hussain, M., Latif, K., Afzal, M., Ahmad, F., Lee, S.: Process interoperability in healthcare systems with dynamic semantic web services. In: Computing, pp. 1–26 (2013)Google Scholar
- 10.Qamar, R., Rector, A.: Semantic issues in integrating data from different models to achieve data interoperability. Studies in Health Technology and Informatics 129(1), 674 (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Sahay, R., Fox, R., Zimmermann, A., Polleres, A., Hauswrith, M.: A methodological approach for ontologising and aligning health level seven (hl7) applications. In: Tjoa, A.M., Quirchmayr, G., You, I., Xu, L. (eds.) ARES 2011. LNCS, vol. 6908, pp. 102–117. Springer, Heidelberg (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar