Is That What I Think It Is? Impact of Screen Size on User Ability to Identify Human Activities
- 15 Downloads
Soldiers on the modern battlefield are taking advantage of aerial surveillance systems to provide better situation awareness while limiting their exposure to the enemy. The efficacy of this technology is a function of the human factors considerations inherent in the design. This study investigated the impact of display size on Soldiers’ situation awareness in a target detection and identification task using a 2 (screen sizes) × 3 (# of personnel in scenario) × 5 (activity types) full factorial design. Accuracy, response time, and confidence data were collected from 56 participants who observed 30 scenarios. No significant difference was found for display size but certain activities were more difficult to identify. Implications of the results and recommendations for additional research are discussed.
KeywordsHuman factors Human-systems integration Systems engineering Situation awareness Mini-UAV Drones
We would like thank Nathan Heslink, John Paul Kruszewski and Ryan Brown from PEO Soldier and the US Army Combat Capabilities Development Command for loaning us a UAV to create the stimului. We especially appreciate Mr. Brown’s training in UAV piloting. As a result, no UAVs were harmed in the making of this experiment, although we did lose one for a short while.
- 1.Smith, S.: Military and Civilian Drone Use (UAV, UAS), The Future of Unmanned Aerial Vehicles. The Balance Careers. https://www.thebalancecareers.com/military-and-civilian-drone-use-4121099
- 2.Endsley, M.R.: Designing for Situational Awareness: An Approach to User-Centered Design, 2nd edn. CRC Press, Boca Raton (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.U.S. Army Research Institute for the Behavioral and Social Science: Modeling and Measuring Situation Awareness in the Infantry Operational Environment. Research Report 1753. Department of the Army, Alexandria, VA (2000)Google Scholar
- 4.Bew, G., Baker, A., Goodman, D., Nardone, O., Robinson, M.: Measuring situational awareness at the small unit tactical level. In: 2015 IEEE Systems and Information Engineering Design Symposium, pp. 51–56 (2015). https://doi.org/10.1109/SIEDS.2015.7117010
- 5.National Research Council: Visual and Psychomotor Factors in Display Design. In: Tactical Display for Soldiers: Human Factors Considerations, pp. 65–116 (1997)Google Scholar