Identifying and Improving Usability Problems of Cryptocurrency Exchange Mobile Applications Through Heuristic Evaluation
- 27 Downloads
Recently, blockchain is noted in many service areas as it is expected to overcome the limitations of the centralized system. Since one of the main features of the blockchain service is utilizing cryptocurrency, cryptocurrency exchanges have an important role. However, there has not much research on the usability of the cryptocurrency exchanges. This study aims to discover the usability problem of KDEX and Bithumb. Four experts conducted a heuristic evaluation based on ten heuristic evaluation items. Twenty-six usability problems were found in KDEX and eighteen in Bithumb. The derived problems were classified by design elements through open card sorting. This study explains derived usability problems and presents guidelines to improve the usability of the two cryptocurrency exchanges based on derived problems. The results of this study can be used to improve the usability of the cryptocurrency exchange.
KeywordsBlockchain service Cryptocurrency exchange Usability test Heuristic evaluation
This research was supported by the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) grant funded by the Korea government (MSIP) (No. NRF-2019R1A2C1086366). This research was supported by the MSIT (Ministry of Science and ICT), Korea, under the ITRC (Information Technology Research Center) support program (IITP-2018-0-01441) supervised by the IITP (Institute for Information & communications Technology Promotion).
- 3.Schlegel, M., Zavolokina, L., Schwabe, G.: Blockchain technologies from the consumers’ perspective: what is there and why should who care? In: 51st Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Hawaii (2018)Google Scholar
- 4.Hileman, G., Rauchs, M.: Global Cryptocurrency Benchmarking Study, vol. 33. Cambridge Centre for Alternative Finance (2017)Google Scholar
- 5.Boztepe, S.: User value: competing theories and models. Int. J. Des. 1(2), 55–63 (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Glomann, L., Schmid, M., Kitajewa, N.: Improving the blockchain user experience-an approach to address blockchain mass adoption issues from a human-centred perspective. In: International Conference on Applied Human Factors and Ergonomics, pp. 608–616. Springer, Cham (2019)Google Scholar
- 7.Nielsen, J.: How to Conduct a Heuristic Evaluation, vol. 1, no. 1. Nielsen Norman Group (1995)Google Scholar
- 8.Nielsen, J.: 10 Usability Heuristics for User Interface Design, vol. 1, no. 1. Nielsen Norman Group (1995)Google Scholar