Virtual Reality as a Factor to Improve Productivity in Learning Processes
- 201 Downloads
A 3D virtual interactive environment can follow the steps of those old second world war flying simulators and be used as a tool to train people in learning a practical process. This will result in an increase of productivity because people will be able of performing that practical process in less time thanks to the use of Virtual Reality as a technological learning tool. This work presents and statistical analysis of 100 students of the first semester of engineering trying to learn a simple and practical task using a 3D virtual interactive environment and the time that it took them to perform the same activity in real life. The results of this investigation prove statistically that there is nearly a 20% gain in the time that it took for the group that used virtual reality over those who did not use it.
KeywordsVirtual reality Productivity Educational innovation
Authors would like to acknowledge the financial support of Writing Lab, NOVUS Initiative and Tecnologico de Monterrey, Mexico, in the production of this work.
- 1.Cohen, S.: Mistakes made in growing your business. ATD’s State of the Industry Report (2016)Google Scholar
- 2.Aurich, J.C., Ostermayer, D.: Improvement of manufacturing processes with virtual reality-based CIP workshops. Int. J. Prod. Res. 57, 5297–5309 (2018)Google Scholar
- 3.Vernon, R., Chiarella, M., Lark, A., Douligeris, C.: Assuring competence or ensuring performance. Collegian (2018)Google Scholar
- 5.Boud, A.C., Haniff, D.J., Baber, C., Steiner, S.J.: Virtual reality and augmented reality as training tool for assembly tasks. J. Exp. Psychol. (2018)Google Scholar
- 8.Kaiying, C.L., Plewe, D.A.: The ambience of ambient intelligence: an Asian approach to ambient systems? Proc. Manuf. 3, 2155–2161 (2015)Google Scholar
- 10.Erenay, O., Hashemipour, M., Kayaligil, S.: Virtual reality in requirement analysis for CIM system development suitable for SMEs. J. Prod. Res. (2019)Google Scholar
- 11.Falconer, C.J., Rovira, A., King, J.A., Gilbert, P.: Embodying self-compassion within virtual reality and its effects on patients with depression (2018). https://doi.org/10.1192/bjpo.bp.115.002147
- 13.Liang, J., Shaw, C., Green, M.: On Temporal Spatial Realism in the Virtual Reality Environment. University of Alberta (2016)Google Scholar
- 14.González-Mendívil, J.A., Rodríguez-Paz, M.X., Caballero-Montes, E.: Measuring the developing of competences with collaborative interdisciplinary work. IEEE Educon (2019)Google Scholar