The Relationship Between Company Survival, Site Risk and Accidents in Construction Industry
- 18 Downloads
This paper examines the relationships between the accident rate of a company and the likelihood that a construction firm survives in the industry. We have done 409 assessments of risk levels on site from 344 Spanish firms from 2004 to 2010. With these assessments, accidents rates and survival/mortality data from SABI database we constructed a panel of data. Our general hypothesis is that accident rate makes less likely that a company survives in the sector. We estimate the relationships among these variables using probit regression methodology. Our results are relevant to highlight the imperative of define effective policies to control accident rates, and improve the construction sector health and its sustainable competitiveness.
KeywordsOccupational accidents Firm survival Construction industry
This research has been partially funded by project ECO2017-86305-C4-1-R from the Spanish Ministry of Economy, Industry and Competitiveness, funds from the Department of Business Economics at University of the Balearic Islands, and with the help of the Labor Authority of Balearic Islands Government.
- 1.Alexander, D., Hallowell, M., Gambatese, J.: Precursors of construction fatalities. II: predictive modeling and empirical validation. J. Constr. Eng. Manag. 143(7), 04017024 (2017). https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)CO.1943-7862.0001297CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.HSE. Costs to Britain of workplace fatalities and self-reported injuries and ill health, 2013/14 (2015). Accessed Sept. 2017. http://www.hse.gov.uk/statistics/pdf/cost-tobritain.pdf
- 15.Labelle, J.E.: What do accidents truly cost? - ProQuest. Profess. Saf. 45(4), 38–42 (2000)Google Scholar
- 17.Reville, R.T., Schoeni, R.F.: Disability from injuries at work: the effects on Earnings and Employment. RAND. Labor and Population Program. Working Paper 01–08 (2001). http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand/pubs/drafts/2005/DRU2554.pdf. Accessed Sept 2017
- 21.Argilés-Bosch, J.M., Martí, J., Monllau, T., Garcia-Blandón, J., Urgell, T.: Empirical analysis of the incidence of accidents in the workplace on firms’ financial performance. Saf. Sci. 70, 123–132 (2011)Google Scholar