The Use of a Laser to Measure the Speed of a Production Line
- 369 Downloads
The accuracy and quality of cutting in the cardboard production process have a significant impact on the quality of the final product, and thus the financial effects of the manufacturer. The paper describes the results of research on the impact of using a laser system to measure the speed of a corrugated board production line on cutting accuracy obtained in a rotary cutter. The tests were carried out in various working conditions of the corrugator. In particular, the precision of cutting for constant line speeds, as well as when accelerating or decelerating the work of the corrugator was examined. The cutting accuracy obtained from the laser system as a contactless sensor was compared with the results obtained for a classic transducer based on a measuring roller with an encoder. The influence of sheet formats and cardboard quality on uncertainty of measurements was also investigated. The tests were carried out on corrugators in various factories. Sources of measurement errors that can occur when using the laser system are also discussed.
KeywordsLaser surface velocimeter Measurement error Cutting accuracy
The partial financial support of this research by the Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education is gratefully acknowledged.
- 1.Blechschmidt, J.: Taschenbuch der Papiertechnik. Carl Hanser (2010)Google Scholar
- 2.Polytec. https://www.polytec.com/eu/velocimetry/areas-of-applications/$steel-aluminum-and-metal/. Accessed 21 Mar 2020
- 3.Herman, F.J.: Patent. DE 10 2008 004 731 A1 Verfahren und Anordnung zur Bestimmung des Durchmessers eines laufenden Faden (2009)Google Scholar
- 4.Polytec: Berührungsloser LSV Geschwindigkeits-Sensor eine unterbrechungsfrei Papierproduktion. Applikationsnote LSV 03 (2006)Google Scholar
- 5.Musielak, S.K.: Geschwindigkeitsmessung in der Wellpappeindustrie. Sensor Mag. 2 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Basler, S.: Encoder und Motor – Feedback Systeme. Springer (2016)Google Scholar
- 7.Polytec: LSV Laser Surface Velocimeter. Non-contact speed and length measurement. https://www.polytec.com/fileadmin/d/Velocimetrie/OM_PB_LSV_E_42450.pdf. Accessed 21 Dec 2019
- 8.Polytec: Laser Surface Velocimeter LSV 6000 seriesGoogle Scholar
- 9.Beta LaserMike. http://www.laserspeedgauge.com/phocadownload/olg_brochure_web.pdf. Accessed 21 Mar 2020