A Fuzzy Logic Approach to Remaining Useful Life Estimation of Ball Bearings
- 439 Downloads
The paper deals with the development of a modelling and prediction scheme capable of estimating a remaining useful life of ball bearings. In particular, a multiple model-based Takagi-Sugeno scheme is developed, which is able to follow the system degradation over the time and predict it in the future. Contrarily to the typical framework, multiple models designed with historical data are used to support diagnostic decisions. In particular, health status determination of the currently operating bearing is supported by the knowledge gathered from the preceding bearings, which went through the run-to-failure process. In both historical and actual bearing cases an efficient modelling scheme with low computational burden is proposed. It is also shown how to exploit it for predicting the bearings remaining useful life. Finally, the proposed approach is applied to data gathered from the PRONOSTIA Platform, designed for the purpose of IEEE Data Challenge pertaining remaining useful life estimation of ball bearings.
KeywordsRemaining useful life Fuzzy logic Degradation Uncertainty intervals
The work was supported by the National Science Centre of Poland under Grant: UMO-2017/27/B/ST7/00620.
- 1.Anis, M.D.: Towards remaining useful life prediction in rotating machine fault prognosis: an exponential degradation model. In: 2018 Condition Monitoring and Diagnosis (CMD), pp. 1–6 (2018). https://doi.org/10.1109/CMD.2018.8535765
- 5.Kraus, T., Mandour, G.I., Joachim, D.: Estimating the error bound in QOBE vowel classification. In: 2007 50th Midwest Symposium on Circuits and Systems, pp. 369–372 (2007). https://doi.org/10.1109/MWSCAS.2007.4488608
- 9.Nectoux, P.R.G., Medjaher, K., Ramasso, E., Morello, B., Zerhouni, N., Varnier., C.: Pronostia: an experimental platform for bearings accelerated life test. In: 2012 IEEE International Conference on Prognostics and Health Management, Denver, CO, USA (2012)Google Scholar
- 10.Pazera, M., Buciakowski, M., Witczak, M.: Robust multiple sensor fault-tolerant control for dynamic non-linear systems: application to the aerodynamical twin-rotor system. Int. J. Appl. Math. Comput. Sci. 28(2), 297–308 (2018). https://doi.org/10.2478/amcs-2018-0021MathSciNetCrossRefzbMATHGoogle Scholar
- 16.Sutrisno, E., Oh, H., Vasan, A.S.S.: Estimation of remaining useful life of ball bearings using data driven methodologies. In: 2012 IEEE Conference on Prognostics and Health Management (PHM) (2012). https://doi.org/10.1109/ICPHM.2012.6299548
- 18.Witczak, M.: Fault Diagnosis and Fault-Tolerant Control Strategies for Non-Linear Systems. Lectures Notes in Electrical Engineering, vol. 266. Springer International Publisher. Heidelberg (2014)Google Scholar
- 19.Zadeh, L.A.: Knowledge representation in fuzzy logic. In: Zadeh, L.A. Fuzzy Sets, Fuzzy Logic, And Fuzzy Systems: Selected Papers, pp. 764–774. World Scientific (1996)Google Scholar