The Gap Between Japanese Medical Professionals and Foreign Patients
- 10 Downloads
The purpose of this study is to clarify the situations in which foreign patients and Japanese medical professionals face difficulties in the Japanese medical system. The authors also aim to find out the causes of difficulties from the viewpoints of foreign patients and Japanese medical professionals. Through our literature review, four major situations were extracted, namely, at receptions, at examination rooms, during treatment decision-making, and at inpatient units. In these situations, a total of eight difficulties were found: among them, seven were caused by gaps in perceptions between foreign patients and Japanese medical professionals. Foreign patients perceive that Japanese medical professionals perceive them in a certain way. At the same time, Japanese medical professionals perceive that each foreign patient possesses a unique cultural background. These create gaps and confusion. It is necessary to find strategies to solve this issue.
KeywordsForeign patients Medical professionals Gap
This work was supported by JSPS KAKENHI Grant JP19K10813.
- 1.Ministry of Justice, Japan. http://www.moj.go.jp/housei/toukei/toukei_ichiran_touroku.html. Accessed 14 Feb 2020
- 2.Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare, Japan. http://www.meti.go.jp/commitee/kenkyukai/shoujo/iryou_coordinate/pdf/001_05_00.pdf. Accessed 14 Feb 2020
- 3.Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications, Japan. The multicultural coexistence promotion plan. http://www.soumu.go.jp/kokusai/pdf/sonota_b6.pdf. Accessed 10 Dec 2019
- 4.Noji, A.: Evaluation of cultural ability for hospital and nursing internationalization-interim report of domestic hospital survey. J. Jpn. Acad. Nurs. Eval. 5(2), 74–78 (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Kubo, Y.: Survey on the current state of nursing care for foreign patients in emergency outpatient departments in Japanese hospitals. J. Health Welf. Statics 16(1), 17–25 (2014)Google Scholar
- 7.Hokkaido Health and Welfare Department: Collection of cases (troubles) for foreign patients, pp. 1–6 (2017)Google Scholar
- 8.Kitagawa, T.: Study on improvement of environment for accepting foreign patients, health labor administration promotion survey project cost subsidy (2019). https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/seisakunitsuite/bunya/0000173230_00003.html
- 9.Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, Japan. www.meti.go.jp/policy/mono_info_service/healthcare/iryou/downloadfiles/pdf/Questionnaire.pdf. Accessed 14 Feb 2020