Real-Time Video Analytics for Measuring Colonoscopy Performance
- 11 Downloads
We have developed a real-time video analytics system for measuring colonoscopy performance, including total visible surface areas, real-time feedback to the endoscopist about the measurements of visible surface areas, video clarity, preparation, and distention conditions. Our lab experiments show that the correlations between the computer and the experienced colonoscopist are: 76% in visible surface area estimation, 83.9% in clarity evaluation, 90% in preparation condition assessment, and 67.9% in distention condition evaluation. Our algorithm appears to be faster in response to dynamic scope movements compared to a 3D scope positioning device. In addition, the clinical experiment shows the system detected unexpected scope malfunction events in real-time.
KeywordsEndoscopy Video Colonoscopy Real-time Surface area Computer vision
The authors would like to thank Dawit Weldeghergish for data analysis and Dr. Shyam Thakkar for data collection and the quality of exam evaluation. The project is sponsored by Innovation Works, CMU, and the DHTI program.
- 3.US Patent 7,894,648: Colonoscopy video processing for quality metrics determination, 22 February 2011Google Scholar
- 4.Oh, J.H., Rajbal, M.A., Muthukudage, J.K., Tavanapong, W., Wong, J., de Groen, P.C.: Real-time phase boundary detection in colonoscopy videos. In: Proceedings of 6th International Symposium on Image and Signal Processing and Analysis (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Kaminski et al.: Quality indicators for colonoscopy and the risk of interval cancer. New Engl. J. Med. 362, 1795–1803 (2010)Google Scholar
- 8.Cai, Y., Thakkar, S.: US Provisional Patent Application, 62/919,942: Real-Time Measurement of Visible Surface Area from Colonoscopy Video, 5 April 2019Google Scholar
- 9.Cai, Y.: Real-time measurement of visible surface area from an endoscopic video. In: Proceedings of International Conference on Computational Science. Springer (2020)Google Scholar