Exploring Critical Success Factors for Safety Management of Tanker Vessels
- 5 Downloads
Managing modern merchant vessels is quite challenging task for shipboard personnel, as well as for shore-based managers in shipping companies. The risks are more so accentuated in terms of vessels that carry dangerous and volatile cargoes, such as tanker vessels. Modern industrial disasters have demonstrated that organizations have a considerable role to play in terms of ensuring adequate safety climate in day-to-day operations at the sharp end. This study explores Critical Success Factors (CSFs) that are necessary for tanker vessel managers to ensure that the ships operate as safe as possible. A literature review focused on the shipping industry and tanker vessels in specific, revealed CSFs such as – human factors, technical factors, environmental factors, organizational factors, regulatory factors, and economic factors, as well several sub factors. The results can provide a basis for further systematic analyses of the CSFs and how they are perceived by the shipping managers in their order of relative importance.
KeywordsShipping Safety Management System Maritime operations Critical Success Factors
The fourth author would like to thank the Research Council of Norway for financial support of the research project “Autonomous Systems in Transport and Industrial Processes (AUTOSTRIP)”.
- 1.International Chamber of Shipping. https://www.ics-shipping.org/shipping-facts/shipping-facts
- 5.Rockart, J.F.: Current uses of the critical success factors process. In: Proceedings of the Fourteenth Annual Conference of the Society for Information Management, pp. 17–21 (1982)Google Scholar
- 8.Rothblum, A.M.: Human error and marine safety. In: National Safety Council Congress and Expo, Orlando, FL, pp. 1–8 (2000)Google Scholar
- 11.Oltedal, H.A., Lützhöft, M. (eds.): Managing Maritime Safety. Routledge, London (2018)Google Scholar
- 13.Ridley, D.: The Literature Review: A Step-by-Step Guide for Students. Sage, London (2012)Google Scholar
- 14.Bullen, C., Rockart, J.F.: A primer on critical success factors, no. 69, pp. 1–75. Center for Information Systems Research. Massachusetts Institute of technology (1981)Google Scholar