Mechanism for the Locomotion Layout Reconfiguration of the Agri_q Mobile Robot
- 53 Downloads
This paper deals with the design of a mechanism able to modify the locomotion layout of a novel UGV (Unmanned Ground Vehicle), named Agri_q, specifically designed for precision agriculture applications. Taking into account that it has to move over an irregular and loose soil, the rover is equipped with eight wheels, each couple supported by a rocker, which ensure a wide contact surface between the vehicle and the ground. A limit of this solution is the substantial lateral slithering occurring when the rover engages curved trajectories, which causes an increase of the needed driving torque. Therefore, reducing the number of ground contact points to compare the torque adsorption in different configurations, namely four, six or eight wheels, could be of interest. The designed mechanism has to lift one of the two wheels connected to the rocker providing at the same time a suspension system to reduce the vibrations transmitted to the sub-chassis. Having analyzed the system requirements, two possible functional solutions are proposed and compared. Finally, the synthesis of the chosen mechanism is presented.
KeywordsPrecision agriculture Agri_q Mobile robot UGV Service robotics Sustainability
We gratefully thank the PIC4SeR - PoliTO Interdepartmental Centre for Service Robotics.
- 1.Vidoni, R., Gallo, R., Ristorto, G., Carabin, G., Mazzetto, F., Scalera, L., Gasparetto, A.: ByeLab: an agricultural mobile robot prototype for proximal sensing and precision farming. In: ASME 2017 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Volume 4A: Dynamics, Vibration, and Control, Tampa, Florida, USA, 3–9 November (2017)Google Scholar
- 2.Chatzimichali, A.P., Georgilas, I.P., Tourassis, V.D.: Design of an advanced prototype robot for white asparagus harvesting. In: 2009 IEEE/ASME International Conference on Advanced Intelligent Mechatronics, Singapore, 14–17 July 2009, pp. 887−892. IEEE (2009)Google Scholar
- 3.Aljanobi, A.A., Al-Hamed, S.A., Al-Suhaibani, S.A.: A setup of mobile robotic unit for fruit harvesting. In: 19th International Workshop on Robotics in Alpe-Adria-Danube Region (RAAD 2010), Budapest, Hungary, 24–26 June 2010. IEEE (2010)Google Scholar
- 5.Lin, H., Dong, S., Liu, Z., Yi, C.: Study and experiment on a wheat precision seeding robot. J. Robot. (2015). Article ID: 696301Google Scholar
- 6.Quaglia, G., Visconte, C., Scimmi, L.S., Melchiorre, M., Cavallone, P., Pastorelli, S.: Design of the positioning mechanism of an unmanned ground vehicle for precision agriculture. In: Uhl, T. (ed.) Advances in Mechanism and Machine Science - Mechanism and Machine Science, vol. 73, pp. 3531–3540. Springer, Cham (2019)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Quaglia, G., Visconte, C., Scimmi, L.S., Melchiorre, M., Cavallone, P., Pastorelli, S.: Robot arm and control architecture integration on a UGV for precision agriculture. In: Uhl, T. (ed.) Advances in Mechanism and Machine Science - Mechanism and Machine Science, vol. 73, pp. 2339–2348. Springer, Cham (2019)CrossRefGoogle Scholar