Acoustic Maintenance of Pavements by Large-Scale Grinding
- 119 Downloads
A so-called semi-dense asphalt (SDA) is widely used in Switzerland as a low noise pavement. During 2018, our preliminary grinding tests on small SDA sections and subsequent broader tests have shown that grinding is an effective way to regain −3 to −5 dBA, measured with the close-proximity (CPX) method. The main purpose of this paper is to put forward a large-scale maintenance process which is effective in regenerating the acoustic performance of aged SDA wearing courses for entire road sections. A secondary purpose is to observe the effect of the same grinding method on dense pavements like AC, ACMR and MA. Several roads at different locations and environmental conditions have been tested in early 2019. At each location the treatment was evaluated by the measurements of grinding depth, mean texture depth and CPX rolling noise. Acoustic effectiveness of the grinding method depending on the pavement characteristics are examined. Our first results indicate that all the treated surfaces become less noisy, regardless of grain size or pore volume. The incidence of grinding on reshaping the surface texture in a way that facilitates air pumping and diminishes tyre vibration will be discussed.
KeywordsLow noise asphalt Grinding CPX measurement
The authors acknowledge the financial support from the Swiss innovation agency Innosuisse under agreement n° 26081.1. Further, we are grateful to the Canton of Freiburg for collaboration with test sections as well as to the people who aided in data collection, including Pascal Bangueret, Christophe Marendaz and Jonathan Brovelli from CCDR and Simon Lambert, Martin Cherey from Weibel AG.
- Balmer T, Steiner F (2018) Akustische Alterung lärmarmer Beläge durch Verschmutzung - Grundlegende Mechanismen. Strasse und Verkehr 3:22Google Scholar
- Beltzung F, Balmer T (2019) Rehabilitation of porous low noise pavement by large scale grinding, EEC2020 paper, under reviewGoogle Scholar
- BUWAL, Strassenlärmmodell StL-86 + , 1987, Korrekturen, 1995Google Scholar
- EN 13036-1 Road and airfield surface characteristics - Test methods - Part 1: Measurement of pavement surface macrotexture depth using a volumetric patch techniqueGoogle Scholar
- ISO/FDIS 11819-2:2017 Acoustics - Measurement of the influence of road surfaces on traffic noise - Part 2: The close-proximity methodGoogle Scholar