Tamés and the Drawing of Heritage Buildings
- 35 Downloads
This article intends to reflect on the importance of the record of heritage buildings through6
observational drawing; this by knowing, describing and disseminating how drawings by Mexican architect Jorge Tamés y Batta, which refer to the architectural heritage of the 16th century in the state of Morelos, are a means of study and dissemination of heritage architecture.
In order to address the topic of architectural representation through observational drawing, we will make a brief review of this type of drawing in the history of architecture as an antecedent that can give us the framework to approach Tamés as a contemporary author of this way of representing architecture.
We believe that observational drawing by Tamés has a double value: the value it possesses as graphic heritage, and also the value as a record of the heritage it is representing.
We support that, thanks to this type of graphic actions, it has been possible to hear about some heritage buildings that no longer exist or that have been modified; therefore, we consider important to disseminate them so we can know them and preserve them as well.
KeywordsJorge Tamés y Batta Observational drawing Architectural heritage
Research Project: Drawing Books as an Instrument of Architectural Ideation. LABTER Representation Techniques Laboratory, Representation Department, Technology and Processes Division, University Center of Art, Architecture and Design (CUAAD). University of Guadalajara (UdeG). Research assistants: David Méndez Hernández and Cesar Iván Pérez Hernández.
Dean of Design, Science and Technology of the Autonomous University of Guadalajara (UAG).
Translated by Francisco Prieto.
- Ching, F.D.K., Juroszec, S.P.: Dibujo y proyecto (Drawing and Project). Editorial Gustavo Gili. Mexico City (2004)Google Scholar
- Farrelly, L.: Técnicas de Representación (Representation Techniques). Editorial Promopress. Barcelona (2008)Google Scholar
- Gómez, M., Ortiz, J.C.: Entrevista a Jorge Tamés y Batta. Inédita (Interview with Jorge Tamés y Batta), Guadalajara, Mexico (2019, unpublished)Google Scholar
- Penny, N.: Piranesi. Editorial Bloomsbury Books. Printed in Yugoslavia (1988)Google Scholar
- Tamés, J.: Los dibujos. Diferentes experiencias (The Drawings. Different Experiences). Editorial UNAM. Mexico City (2019)Google Scholar
- Tchoban, S.: El arte del dibujo arquitectónico. Capítulo de libro publicado en Meuser, Natascha. (The Art of Architectural Drawing. Chapter from book published in Meuser, Natascha). Construction and Design. Drawing Manual for Architects. DOM publishers, Berlin (2015)Google Scholar
- Urban Sketchers. Nuestra misión (Our mission). http://www.urbansketchers.org/p/our-mission.html. Accessed 31 Aug 2019
- Fundación UNAM (UNAM Foundation) (2015). http://www.fundacionunam.org.mx/rostros/jorge-tames-un-arquitecto-muy-puma/. Accessed 15 Dec 2018