Miscellaneous Complications in Oral Implant Surgery
- 14 Downloads
Dental implant is currently the gold standard in the rehabilitation of missing teeth. Like all other surgeries, placement of implants may be accompanied by a wide range of minor to serious complications. These unwanted events may stem from any stage of implant therapy from the first consultation appointment up to several years after a seemingly successful treatment. Here, authors have tried to review a variety of complications which, in spite of their importance, are not sufficiently addressed elsewhere. Diagnosis, management, and prevention of each group of complications will be briefly discussed.
KeywordsComplications Dental implants Oral surgery Implant surgery Treatment planning Implant–tooth connection Metallic attrition Allergy to dental implants Toxicity of titanium dental implants Nonrestorable implants
- Chaubey AK, Mishra SK, Chowdhary R. Positive Material Identification testing of dental implant to correlate their compositions with allergic conditions. J Oral Biol Craniofac Res. 2019;9(3):294–8. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jobcr.2019.05.003. Epub 2019 May 17.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- de Luna Gomes JM, Lemos CAA, Santiago Junior JF, de Moraes SLD, Goiato MC, Pellizzer EP. Optimal number of implants for complete-arch implant-supported prostheses with a follow-up of at least 5 years: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Prosthet Dent. 2019;121(5):766–774.e3. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.prosdent.2018.06.001. Epub 2018 Dec 4. Review.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Delgado-Ruiz R, Romanos G. Potential causes of titanium particle and ion release in implant dentistry: a systematic review. Int J Mol Sci. 2018;19(11). pii: E3585. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijms19113585.
- Jung RE, Al-Nawas B, Araujo M, Avila-Ortiz G, Barter S, Brodala N, Chappuis V, Chen B, De Souza A, Almeida RF, Fickl S, Finelle G, Ganeles J, Gholami H, Hammerle C, Jensen S, Jokstad A, Katsuyama H, Kleinheinz J, Kunavisarut C, Mardas N, Monje A, Papaspyridakos P, Payer M, Schiegnitz E, Smeets R, Stefanini M, Ten Bruggenkate C, Vazouras K, Weber HP, Weingart D, Windisch P. Group 1 ITI Consensus Report: the influence of implant length and design and medications on clinical and patient-reported outcomes. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2018;29(Suppl 16):69–77. https://doi.org/10.1111/clr.13342.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Mamalis A, Markopoulou K, Kaloumenos K, Analitis A. Splinting osseointegrated implants and natural teeth in partially edentulous patients: a systematic review of the literature. J Oral Implantol. 2012;38(4):424–34. https://doi.org/10.1563/AAID-JOI-D-10-00099. Epub 2010 Nov 12. Review.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Ortega-Oller I, Suárez F, Galindo-Moreno P, Torrecillas-Martínez L, Monje A, Catena A, Wang HL. The influence of implant diameter on its survival: a meta-analysis based on prospective clinical trials. J Periodontol. 2014;85(4):569–80. https://doi.org/10.1902/jop.2013.130043. Epub 2013 Aug 1. Review.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Rashad A, Sadr-Eshkevari P, Weuster M, Schmitz I, Prochnow N, Maurer P. Material attrition and bone micromorphology after conventional and ultrasonic implant site preparation. Clin Oral Implants Res. 2013;24(Suppl A100):110–4. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0501.2011.02389.x. Epub 2012 Jan 17.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wood MR, Vermilyea SG, Committee on Research in Fixed Prosthodontics of the Academy of Fixed Prosthodontics. A review of selected dental literature on evidence-based treatment planning for dental implants: report of the Committee on Research in Fixed Prosthodontics of the Academy of Fixed Prosthodontics. J Prosthet Dent. 2004;92(5):447–62.CrossRefGoogle Scholar