Adaptive Activities for Patients with Cerebral Palsy
- 17 Downloads
Sports, exercise, driving, and working are all important components of modern life. Patients with cerebral palsy (CP) deserve and benefit from the ability to engage in these activities inasmuch as they are able. In many cases, activities may be adjusted to allow for participation by persons with physical or intellectual limitations. Many organizations exist to facilitate this participation.
KeywordsAdaptive sports Adaptive driving Disabled vocational training
- 1.Hagan JF, Shaw JS, Duncan PM, American Academy of Pediatrics. Bright futures : guidelines for health supervision of infants, children, and adolescents. https://shop.aap.org/bright-futures-guidelines-for-health-supervision-of-infants-children-and-adolescents-4th-edition-1/. Accessed 29 March 2019.
- 2.Ross SA, Yount M, Ankarstad S, et al. Effects of participation in sports programs on walking ability and endurance over time in children with cerebral palsy. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1097/PHM.0000000000000767.
- 3.Dewar R, Love S, Johnston LM. Exercise interventions improve postural control in children with cerebral palsy: a systematic review. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2015; https://doi.org/10.1111/dmcn.12660.
- 4.Damiano DL, Vaughan CL, Abel ME. Muscle response to heavy resistance exercise in children with spastic cerebral palsy. Dev Med Child Neurol. 1995; https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8749.1995.tb15019.x.
- 6.Verschuren O, Ketelaar M, Gorter JW, Helders PJM, Uiterwaal CSPM, Tim Takken P, Verschuren O, et al. Exercise training program in children and adolescents with cerebral palsy. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2007; https://doi.org/10.1001/archpedi.161.11.1075.
- 7.Rimmer JH. Physical fitness levels of persons with cerebral palsy. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2001; https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1469-8749.2001.tb00189.x.
- 8.O’Neil ME, Berhane Z, Abdalla D, et al. Factors influencing physical activity in children and youth with special health care needs: a pilot study. Int J Pediatr. 2012; https://doi.org/10.1155/2012/583249.
- 9.Keeton VF, Kennedy C. Update on physical activity including special needs populations. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2009; https://doi.org/10.1097/MOP.0b013e3283292614.
- 11.Verschuren O, Peterson MD, Balemans ACJ, Hurvitz EA. Exercise and physical activity recommendations for people with cerebral palsy. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2016; https://doi.org/10.1111/dmcn.13053.
- 12.Kelly M, Darrah J. Aquatic exercise for children with cerebral palsy. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2005; https://doi.org/10.1017/S0012162205001775.