ASD, Trauma, and Coordinated Care
- 15 Downloads
This chapter explores issues related to trauma in youth with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) and how trauma and its sequelae can be identified and addressed through interdisciplinary coordinated care. Foundational information on trauma-informed care (TIC) and intervention strategies are provided to help guide professionals and families in better understanding common experiences of trauma in youth with ASD and effective ways to offer support and promote healing.
KeywordsPediatrics Autism spectrum disorder Neurodevelopmental Autism Management Treatment Interdisciplinary Trauma Coordinated care
- Anda, R. F., Felitti, V. J., Bremner, J. D., Walker, J. D., Whitfield, C. H., Perry, B. D., … & Giles, W. H. (2006). The enduring effects of abuse and related adverse experiences in childhood. European Archives of Psychiatry and Clinical Neuroscience, 256(3), 174–186.Google Scholar
- Beck, J. (2011). Cognitive behavior therapy: Basics and beyond (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Cole, S. F., Eisner, A., Gregory, M., & Ristuccia, J. (2013). Helping traumatized children learn: Creating and advocating for Trauma-sensitive schools. Retrieved from https://traumasensitiveschools.org/tlpi-publications/.
- Crawley, S. A., Podell, J. L., Beidas, R. S., Braswell, L., & Kendall, P. C. (2010). Cognitive-behavioral therapy with youth. In K. S. Dobson (Ed.), Handbook of cognitive-behavioral therapies (pp. 375–410). New York, NY: The Guildford Press.Google Scholar
- Felitti, V. J., Anda, R. F., Nordenberg, D., Williamson, D. F., Spitz, A. M., Edwards, V., … & Marks, J. S. (1998). Relationship of childhood abuse and household dysfunction to many of the leading causes of death in adults: The adverse childhood experiences (ACE) study. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 14(4), 245–258.Google Scholar
- Ford, J. D., Racusin, R., Rogers, K., Ellis, C., Schiffman, J., Ribbe, D., & Edwards, J. (2002). Traumatic Events Screening Inventory for Children (TESI-C) Version 8.4. National Center for PTSD and Dartmouth Child Psychiatry Research Group.Google Scholar
- Gates, G. (2019). Trauma, stigma, and autism: Developing resilience and loosening the grip of shame. Philadelphia, PA: Jessica Kingsley Publishers.Google Scholar
- Hoover, D. W., & Romero, E. M. (2019). The Interactive Trauma Scale: a web-based measure for children with autism. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders. Advance online publication.Google Scholar
- Kaufman, J., Birmaher, B., Brent, D., Rao, U. M. A., Flynn, C., Moreci, P., … & Ryan, N. (1997). Schedule for affective disorders and schizophrenia for school-age children-present and lifetime version (K-SADS-PL): Initial reliability and validity data. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 36(7), 980–988.Google Scholar
- The National Child Traumatic Stress Network. (2008). Child trauma toolkit for educators. Retrieved from https://www.nctsn.org/sites/default/files/resources//child_trauma_toolkit_educators.pdf.
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. (2018). Post-traumatic stress disorder (NICE Guideline No. 116). Retrieved from https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng116/chapter/Recommendations#management-of-ptsd-in-children-young-people-and-adult.
- Rumball, F. (2018). A systematic review of the assessment and treatment of posttraumatic stress disorder in individuals with autism spectrum disorders. Review Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 1–31.Google Scholar
- Sivaratnam, C. S., Newman, L. K., Tonge, B. J., & Rinehart, N. J. (2015). Attachment and emotion processing in children with autism spectrum disorders: Neurobiological, neuroendocrine, and neurocognitive considerations. Review Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 2(2), 222–242.Google Scholar
- Storch, E. A., Sulkowski, M. L., Nadeau, J., Lewin, A. B., Arnold, E. B., Mutch, P. J., … & Murphy, T. K. (2013). The phenomenology and clinical correlates of suicidal thoughts and behaviors in youth with autism spectrum disorders. Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 43(10), 2450–2459.Google Scholar
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration. (2014). SAMHSA’s concept of trauma and guidance for a trauma-informed approach. Rockville, MD: Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.Google Scholar
- Suskind, R. (2016). Life, animated: A story of sidekicks, heroes, and autism. Glendale, CA: Kingswell.Google Scholar