Applied Ethics: Organizations
- 5 Downloads
The often dense and arcane writings of theologians and moral philosophers might create the impression morality is an obscure, esoteric subject, but that is not the case. Applied ethics addresses a variety of moral issues which have practical significance. Morality is a vital discipline that can affect multiple aspects of our lives. There are many forums for the discussion of ethical dilemmas. The dilemmas of applied ethics do not always lead to consensus. Professional associations, institutions, organizations and governmental agencies often develop a code of ethical behavior that is intended to be binding on its members. The failure to respect an ethical rule of engineers that they “shall hold paramount the safety, health and welfare of the public” resulted in one of the worst accidents in the United States space program, the Challenger Disaster. Ethical questions and ethical dilemmas occur frequently. The uncertainties and controversies of ethical theories might tempt us to avoid ethical deliberation, but many ethical dilemmas cannot be avoided. Ethical questions related to data breeches, the Challenger disaster, the Goldwater Rule, and the right to refuse blood transfusion are discussed.
- ABA Model Code of Professional Responsibility. 2019. Available at https://www.americanbar.org/content/dam/aba/administrative/professional_responsibility/mrpc_migrated/mcpr.pdf. Accessed February 8, 2019.
- American Bar Association. 2018. Lawyers’ Obligations After an Electronic Data Breach or Cyberattack. Formal Opinion 483. October 17, 2018.Google Scholar
- AMA Code of Medical Ethics. 2019. Available at https://www.ama-assn.org/sites/ama-assn.org/files/corp/media-browser/principles-of-medical-ethics.pdf. Accessed February 8, 2019.
- American Red Cross Code of Business Ethics and Conduct. 2019. Available at https://www.redcross.org/content/dam/redcross/enterprise-assets/pdfs/m35440072_Code_of_Business_Ethics_and_Conduct.pdf. Accessed February 8, 2019.
- Beauchamp, Tom L., and James F. Childress. 2009. Principles of Biomedical Ethics. New York and Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Buttrick, Hilary G. et al. 2016. The Skeleton of A Data Breach: The Ethical and Legal Concerns, 23 Rich. J. L. & Tech. 2. http://jolt.richmond.edu/wp-content/uploads/volume23_article2_Buttrick.pdf.
- Devega, Chauncey. 2017. Harvard psychiatrist Lance Dodes: Donald Trump is a “sociopath” and “a very sick individual”. Available at https://www.salon.com/2017/09/12/harvard-psychiatrist-lance-dodes-donald-trump-is-a-sociopath-and-a-very-sick-individual/. Accessed February 9, 2019.
- Dittmer, Joel. 2019. Applied Ethics, The Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy, ISSN 2161-0002, https://www.iep.utm.edu/, January 28, 2019. Accessed January 29, 2019.
- Engineering Ethics. 2019. The Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster. Department of Philosophy and Department of Mechanical Engineering Texas A&M University. NSF Grant Number DIR-9012252. Instructor’s Guide. Available at http://ethics.tamu.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/7/2017/04/Shuttle.pdf. Accessed February 5, 2019.
- Kroll, Jerome, and Claire Pouncey. 2016. The Ethics of the APA’s Goldwater Rule. The Journal of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law 44 (2): 226–235.Google Scholar
- LaVone, Michelle. 2016. The Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster. Online Space Safety Magazine. Available at http://www.spacesafetymagazine.com/space-disasters/challenger-disaster/. Accessed February 5, 2019.
- Lee, Bandy X. 2017a. Psychiatrists Warn About Trump’s Mental State New York Times Letter to the Editor December 1, 2017.Google Scholar
- Lee, Brandy X. 2017b. The Dangerous Case of Donald Trump. New York: Saint Martin’s Press.Google Scholar
- NPR (National Public Radio) news. 2016. Challenger Engineer Who Warned of Shuttle Disaster Dies. Available at https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/03/21/470870426/challenger-engineer-who-warned-of-shuttle-disaster-dies. Accessed February 6, 2019.
- Society of Professional Journalists Code of Ethics. Available at https://www.spj.org/ethicscode.asp. Accessed February 8, 2019.
- Steinberg, David. 2018. Should POTUS Undergo Independent Medical Evaluations? Boston Globe Magazine. May 27, 2018.Google Scholar
- Wikipedia Contributors. 2019a. Yahoo! data breaches. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Yahoo!_data_breaches&oldid=880860599. Accessed January 30, 2019.
- Wikipedia Contributors. 2019b. Responsible disclosure. Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Responsible_disclosure&oldid=876587989. Accessed January 31, 2019.