Assessing the Narrative Politics Model
- 7 Downloads
Perceptions of the dangers of cannabis, the medical benefits of cannabis, or the euphoric benefits of cannabis vary by narrative. Likewise, the facts about cannabis and the desirability of cannabis varies according to policy narrative. Like political phenomena in general, policy recommendations are relative to the narrative one subscribes to. While this is problematic for those who desire consensus, absolutism, or monism, it is evidence of democratic pluralism in the polity. The Narrative Politics model is deemed to be highly interpretive, inductive, and accommodating of such pluralism. It can reveal the contours of the discourse enabling the analyst to better discern what is at stake for the polity in its various factions. The final chapter calls into question the suppression of scientific research on cannabis as well as the suppression of public discourse related to cannabis.
KeywordsRelativity of policy recommendations Democratic pluralism Technical rationality Suppression of scientific research Suppression of public discourse
- Americans for Safe Access. 2009. The Obstruction of Medical Cannabis Research in the U.S.: A Review of the Growing Controversy Regarding a Federal Monopoly on the Supply of Medical Cannabis for Research. Apr. http://american-safe-access.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/Research_Obstruction_Report.pdf. Accessed 18 May 2018.
- Austin, John L. 1962. How to Do Things with Words. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Barad, Karen. 2007. Meeting the Universe Halfway: Quantum Physics and the Entanglement of Matter and Meaning. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.Google Scholar
- Dodge, Jennifer. 2016. Crowded Advocacy: Framing Dynamics in the Fracking Controversy in New York. Voluntas: International Journal of Voluntary and Nonprofit Organizations 25 (5). http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s11266-016-9800-6. Accessed 23 June 2019.
- Edelman, Murray. 1967. The Symbolic Uses of Politics. Champaign, IL: University of Illinois Press.Google Scholar
- Elder, Charles E., and Roger W. Cobb. 1983. The Political Uses of Symbols. New York: Longman.Google Scholar
- Feyerabend, Paul. 2010. Against Method: Outline of an Anarchistic Theory of Knowledge, 4th ed. New York: Verso.Google Scholar
- Fong, Benjamin Y. 2013. Brain Changers: A Response. New York Times, Aug 16. https://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/author/benjamin-y-fong/. Accessed 30 Dec 2019.
- Gaoni, Yehiel, and Rafael Mechoulam. 1964. Isolation, Structure, and Partial Synthesis of an Active Constituent of Hashish. Journal of the American Chemical Society 86 (8): 1646–1647. https://doi.org/10.1021/ja01062a046. Accessed 27 Jan 2019.
- Hoffmann, Diane, Francis B. Palumbo, and Y. Tony Yang. 2018. Will the FDA’s Approval of Epidiolex Lead to Rescheduling Marijuana? Health Affairs Blog. https://www.healthaffairs.org/do/10.1377/hblog20180709.904289/full/. Accessed 22 Jan 2019.
- Jaeger, Kyle. 2019a. Federal Judge Rules for Medical Marijuana Grower in Free Speech Case. Marijuana Moment, Jan 21. https://www.marijuanamoment.net/federal-judge-rules-for-medical-marijuana-grower-in-free-speech-case/. Accessed 12 Apr 2019.
- Jaeger, Kyle. 2019b. DEA Still Hasn’t Acted on Marijuana Grower Applications It Requested Three Years Ago. Marijuana Moment, Aug 12. https://www.marijuanamoment.net/dea-still-hasnt-acted-on-marijuana-grower-applications-it-requested-three-years-ago/. Accessed 14 Aug 2019.
- Jamieson, Kathleen Hall, and Joseph N. Cappella. 2008. Echo Chamber: Rush Limbaugh and the Conservative Media Establishment. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Joseph, Andrew. 2017. U.S. Called for New Marijuana Research Bids–But Granted No Approvals. Scientific American, July 24. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/u-s-called-for-new-marijuana-research-bids-but-granted-no-approvals/. Accessed 12 Apr 2019.
- Kalmoe, Nathan P., and Lilliana Mason. 2019. Lethal Mass Partisanship: Prevalence, Correlates, & Electoral Contingencies. Paper presented at National Capital Area Political Science Association, American Politics Meeting, Jan. https://www.dannyhayes.org/uploads/6/9/8/5/69858539/kalmoe___mason_ncapsa_2019_-_lethal_partisanship_-_final_lmedit.pdf. Accessed 13 Mar 2019.
- Kuhn, Thomas. 1962/2012. The Structure of Scientific Revolutions. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Lyotard, Jean-François. 1984. The Postmodern Condition: A Report on Knowledge. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.Google Scholar
- Mannheim, Karl. 1954. Ideology and Utopia: An Introduction to the Sociology of Knowledge. New York: Harcourt Brace & Co.Google Scholar
- Nagel, Thomas. 1986. The View from Nowhere. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- New York Times Editorial. 2000. Medical Marijuana and Free Speech. New York Times, Sept 20. https://www.nytimes.com/2000/09/20/opinion/medical-marijuana-and-free-speech.html. Accessed 13 May 2019.
- Noonan, David. 2016. Scientists Want the Smoke to Clear on Medical Marijuana Research. Scientific American. Apr 15. https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/scientists-want-the-smoke-to-clear-on-medical-marijuana-research/. Accessed 9 May 2019.
- Rashdall, Hastings. 1895/1936. The Universities of Europe in the Middle Ages. Volume I Salerno—Bologna—Paris. London: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Robertson, Sarah. 2018. Cannabis Branding and Free Speech Considerations. The TMCA, Feb 13. https://thetmca.com/cannabis-branding-and-free-speech-considerations/. Accessed 12 Apr 2019.
- Schwartz, Yardena. 2017. The Holy Land of Medical Marijuana. U.S. News & World Report. Apr 1. https://www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/articles/2017-04-11/israel-is-a-global-leader-in-marijuana-research. Accessed 12 Apr 2019.
- Seidel, Markus. 2011. Karl Mannheim, Relativism and Knowledge in the Natural Sciences—A Deviant Interpretation. In The Problem of Relativism in the Sociology of (Scientific) Knowledge, ed. Richard Schantz and Markus Seidel. Piscataway, NJ: Transaction Books.Google Scholar
- Shea, Kevin, and Rebecca Everett. 2018. NJ Weedman Spent 400-Plus Days in Jail. Turns Out He Was Not Guilty. NJ.com. May. https://www.nj.com/marijuana/2018/05/nj_weedman_is_out_of_jail_after_400-plus_days_but.html. Accessed 12 Apr 2019.
- Siebert, Amanda. 2018. Canada’s Grand Cannabis Experiment Has Set Scientists Free. New York Times, Nov 20. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/20/opinion/cannabis-science-legal-marijuana-canada.html. Accessed 12 Apr 2019.
- Smith, Kevin B., and Christopher W. Larimer. 2013. The Public Policy Theory Primer. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.Google Scholar
- Spicer, Michael W. 2019. Towards the Meridian: Albert Camus, Democracy, and Public Administration. Public Integrity 21 (4): 378–393. http://doi.org/10.1080/10999922.2018.1522181. Accessed 17 Dec 2018.
- Stone, Deborah. 2012. Policy Paradox: The Art of Political Decision Making, 3rd ed. New York: Norton.Google Scholar
- Tesh, Sylvia Noble. 2000. Uncertain Hazards: Environmental Activists and Scientific Proof. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- Wagenaar, Hendrik. 2011. Meaning in Action: Interpretation and Dialogue in Policy Analysis. Armonk, NY: M.E. Sharpe.Google Scholar