- 6 Downloads
Early enactment of both medical cannabis and adult-use recreational cannabis happened in states that allow ballot initiatives. Ballot initiatives may have generated an uptick in public debates ahead of election day. Once enacted, either legislatively or via ballot initiative, the winning policy narrative is met with managerial narratives, practical regulatory problems, continued resistance from hostile narratives, and policy discretion on the part of administrators. New and recycled narratives emerge, including the Psychosis narrative and the Big Marijuana narrative. The discourse becomes more particularistic; the more detailed “how-to” narratives can be either enabling or disruptive to the genesis narrative.
KeywordsBallot initiative Winning policy narrative Genesis narrative Management narratives Enabling/disruptive narratives
- Berenson, Alex. 2019. What Advocates of Legalizing Pot Don’t Want You to Know. New York Times, Jan 4. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/04/opinion/marijuana-pot-health-risks-legalization.html. Accessed 19 Feb 2019.
- Caulkins, Jonathan P., Beau Kilmer, and Mark A.R. Kleiman. 2016. Marijuana Legalization: What Everyone Needs to Know, 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Colorado Legislative Council. 2016. Report to the Colorado General Assembly Legalized Marijuana Cost-Benefit Analysis Interim Study Committee. https://www.colorado.gov/pacific/cga-legislativecouncil/2016-interim-study-committee-cost-benefit-analysis-legalized-marijuana-colorado. Accessed 13 Aug 2019.
- Cook, Brian J. 2014. Bureaucracy & Self-Government: Reconsidering the Role of Public Administration in American Politics, 2nd ed. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Denver. 2017. The Denver Collaborative Approach: Leading the Way in Municipal Marijuana Management. www.Denvergov.org/Marijuanainfo. Accessed 22 June 2019.
- Fuller, Thomas. 2019. ‘Getting Worse, Not Better’: Illegal Pot Market Booming in California Despite Legalization. New York Times, Apr 27. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/27/us/marijuana-california-legalization.html. Accessed 27 Apr 2019.
- Garrand, Danielle. 2019. Smoking Medical Marijuana Becomes Legal in Florida. CBS News, Mar 19. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/medical-marijuana-in-florida-smoking-medical-marijuana-now-legal-2019-03-18/. Accessed 13 Aug 2019.
- Gross, Samantha J. 2019. Florida’s Medical Marijuana Rules Are Unconstitutional, Court Says. Tampa Bay Times, July 9. https://www.tampabay.com/florida-politics/buzz/2019/07/10/florida-law-limiting-medical-marijuana-companies-ruled-unconstitutional/. Accessed 13 Aug 2019.
- Haden, Mark, and Brian Emerson. 2014. A Vision for Cannabis Regulation: A Public Health Approach Based on Lessons Learned from the Regulation of Alcohol and Tobacco. Open Medicine 8 (2): e73–e80. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4085088/pdf/OpenMed-08-73.pdf. Accessed 21 June 2019.
- Kleiman, Mark. 2019. How Dangerous Is Marijuana Really? The Marshall Project. Jan 14. https://www.themarshallproject.org/2019/01/14/how-dangerous-is-marijuana-really. Accessed 31 Jan 2019.
- Larty, Jamiles. 2019. Popular Book on Marijuana’s Apparent Dangers Is Pure Alarmism, Experts Say. The Guardian, Feb 17. https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/feb/17/marijuana-book-tell-your-children-alex-berenson. Accessed 19 Feb 2019.
- Latour, Bruno. 2005. Reassembling the Social: An Introduction to Actor-Network Theory. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Lopez, German. 2016. Meet the Man Trying to Halt Marijuana Legalization. Vox, Mar 25. https://www.vox.com/2015/3/20/8257631/kevin-sabet-marijuana-legalization. Accessed 15 Feb 2019.
- McCormack, Marie C., Donald I. Abrams, Margarita Alegria, William Checkley, R. Lorraine Collins, Ziva D. Cooper, Dre J. du Plessis, Sarah Feldstein Ewing, Sean Hennessy, Kent Hutchison, Norbert E. Kaminski, Sachin Patel, Daniele Piomelli, Stephen Sidney, Robert B. Wallace, and John Wiley Williams. 2017. The Health Effects of Cannabis and Cannabinoids: The Current State of Evidence and Recommendations for Research. Washington, DC: The National Academies Press. https://www.nap.edu/read/24625/chapter/1. Accessed 19 Feb 2019.
- McGinty, Emma E., Hillary Samples, Sachini N. Bandara, Brendan Saloner, Marcus A. Bachhuber, and Colleen L. Barry. 2016. The Emerging Public Discourse on State Legalization of Marijuana for Recreational Use in the US: Analysis of News Media Coverage, 2010–2014. Preventive Medicine 90 (September): 114–120.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- McGuire, Michael. 2006. Collaborative Public Management: Assessing What We Know and How We Know It. Public Administration Review. Special Issue, December: 33–43.Google Scholar
- Sabet, Kevin. 2018. Marijuana and Legalization Impacts. Berkeley Journal of Criminal Law 23 (1): 84–98.Google Scholar
- SAM. 2018. Smart Approaches to Marijuana (SAM) Education Summit, Aug 22. https://vendome.swoogo.com/ncad-2018/SAMs. Accessed 15 Feb 2019.
- Shanahan, Marian, and Alison Ritter. 2014. Cost Benefit Analysis of Two Policy Options for Cannabis: Status Quo and Legalisation. Plos One. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0095569. Accessed 13 Aug 2019.
- van het Loo, Mirjam, Stijn Hoorens, Christian van’t Hof, and James P. Kahan. 2004. Cannabis Policy, Implementation and Outcomes. Santa Monica, CA: RAND Corporation. https://www.rand.org/pubs/monograph_reports/MR1805.html. Accessed 13 Aug 2019.
- Vinicky, Amanda. 2019. Pritzker Expected to Sign Marijuana Legalization Next Week. WTTW, June 20. https://news.wttw.com/2019/06/20/pritzker-expected-sign-marijuana-legalization-bill-next-week. Accessed 23 June 2019.
- Way, Katie. 2019. What Fearmongering About Pot Tells You About Mainstream Marijuana Coverage. The Nation, Jan 28. https://www.thenation.com/article/alex-berenson-marijuana-legalization-tell-your-children-review/. Accessed 19 Feb 2019.
- Zak, Annie. 2019. It’s Official: Alaska Adopts Rules for On-Site Marijuana Consumption at Retail Shops. Anchorage Daily News, Mar 12. https://www.adn.com/alaska-marijuana/2019/03/13/alaska-adopts-rules-for-on-site-marijuana-consumption-at-retail-shops/. Accessed 29 Apr 2019.