Ethical Issues in Big Data Analytics for Time Critical Mobility Forecasting
- 17 Downloads
Big data analytics for time critical mobility forecasting involves the use of large amounts of data from different sources, which are combined to gather new insights and foresee potential needs and developments. Due to this intensive use of data and the sensitivity of projects involving critical infrastructures and technologies, the use of big data analytics for time critical mobility forecasting has legal and ethical impacts and risks that need to be addressed and mitigated. While this may not be obvious at first glance in some cases, as the presence of personal data and direct impacts on individuals may be minimal, ethics issues are still relevant. These are related to the possible privacy- and security-related consequences, as well as potential misuse and “function creep”, both during product development and testing and in the actual use of the final product. This chapter thus seeks to tackle those ethical challenges as they were addressed by an expert ethics team in the EC-funded datAcron project. We start by explaining the efforts made at the EU level to ensure the ethical development of publicly funded technologies and the framework and risks all projects need take into account, and then we briefly go over the different insights and actions regarding the datAcron project to ensure the ethics compliance of the project. While the process and advice developed is specific to datAcron, we believe it holds lessons for other similar initiatives seeking to be aware of and comply with their ethics obligations.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Ball, A.: How to license research data. How-to guides, Edinburgh, Digital Curation Centre, 2014. Available at: https://alexball.me.uk/docs/ball2011hlr?style=plain
- 2.Cavoukian, A.: Privacy by Design. The 7 Foundational Principles. Information and Privacy Commissioner of Ontario, vol. 5, 2009, Available at: https://www.ipc.on.ca/wp-content/uploads/resources/7foundationalprinciples.pdf
- 3.Collins English Dictionary. Collins English Dictionary - Complete & Unabridged 2012 Digital Edition. [Online] Available at: http://www.dictionary.com/browse/function-creep
- 4.Council Regulation (EC) No 428/2009 of 5 May 2009 setting up a Community regime for the control of exports, transfer, brokering and transit of dual-use items, 2009Google Scholar
- 5.European Commission, Report of the Societal Impact Expert Working Group EC DG ENTR Report February 2012. , s.l.: s.n., 2012Google Scholar
- 6.Gartner. [Online], IT Glossary. 2013. Available at: http://www.gartner.com/it-glossary/big-data/
- 7.Hern, A.: Fitness tracking app Strava gives away location of secret US army bases. The Guardian, 18 January 2018Google Scholar
- 8.Schomberg, V.: Towards responsible research and innovation in the information and communication technologies and security technologies fields. , s.l.: s.n., 2011Google Scholar
- 9.Tan, R.: Fitness app Polar revealed not only where U.S. military personnel worked, but where they lived. The Washington Post, 18 July 2018Google Scholar