Implementing CNNs Using a Linear Array of Full Mesh CGRAs
- 37 Downloads
This paper presents an implementation of a Convolutional Neural Network (CNN) algorithm using a linear array of full mesh dynamically and partially reconfigurable Coarse Grained Reconfigurable Arrays (CGRAs). Accelerating CNNs using GPUs and FPGAs is more common and there are few works that address the topic of CNN acceleration using CGRAs. Using CGRAs can bring size and power advantages compared to GPUs and FPGAs. The contribution of this paper is to study the performance of full mesh dynamically and partially reconfigurable CGRAs for CNN acceleration. The CGRA used is an improved version of the previously published Versat CGRA, adding multi CGRA core support and pre-silicon configurability. The results show that the proposed CGRA is as easy to program as the original full mesh Versat CGRA, and that its performance and power consumption scale linearly with the number of instances.
KeywordsConvolutional Neural Networks Coarse Grained Reconfigurable Arrays Reconfigurable computing Embedded systems
This work was supported by national funds through Fundação para a Ciência e a Tecnologia (FCT) under projects PTDC/EEI-HAC/30848/2017 and UIDB/50021/2020.
- 1.The MNIST database of handwritten digits. http://yann.lecun.com/exdb/mnist/
- 2.RISC-V: The Free and Open RISC Instruction Set Architecture. https://riscv.org/
- 3.PicoRV32 - a RISC-V CPU. https://github.com/cliffordwolf/picorv32 (2019)
- 5.De Sutter, B., Raghavan, P., Lambrechts, A.: Coarse-grained reconfigurable array architectures. In: Bhattacharyya, S.S., Deprettere, E.F., Leupers, R., Takala, J. (eds.) Handbook of Signal Processing Systems, pp. 449–484. Springer, Boston (2010). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4419-6345-1_17CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Heysters, P.M., Smit, G.J.M.: Mapping of DSP algorithms on the MONTIUM architecture. In: Proceedings of the International Parallel and Distributed Processing Symposium, p. 6, April 2003Google Scholar
- 11.Mei, B., Vernalde, S., Verkest, D., De Man, H., Lauwereins, R.: DRESC: a retargetable compiler for coarse-grained reconfigurable architectures (2002) Google Scholar
- 12.Hemani, A., Shami, M.A.: Partially reconfigurable interconnection network for dynamically reprogrammable resource array (2009)Google Scholar
- 13.Wijtvliet, M., Waeijen, L., Corporaal, H.: Coarse grained reconfigurable architectures in the past 25 years: overview and classification (2016)Google Scholar