Non-Pharmacological and Pharmacological Therapies in Vasovagal Syncope: Current Status
- 30 Downloads
Vasovagal syncope (VVS) is a non-life-threatening disorder, and in most patients pharmacological treatment is not required. However, patients with recurrent episodes of syncope, and especially those suffering from prior injuries, are likely to have impaired quality of life. Drug therapies are appropriate for these patients. Despite numerous efforts and trials, therapeutic options in patients with VVS are very limited; there are no pharmacological treatments that have convincingly been shown to be effective in large clinical trials.
- 3.Sheldon RS, Grubb BP, Olshansky B, et al. 2015 Heart Rhythm Society expert consensus statement on the diagnosis and treatment of postural Tachycardia Syndrome, inappropriate sinus tachycardia, and vasovagal syncope. Hear Rhythm. 2015;12(6):e41–63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.hrthm.2015.03.029.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Shen W-K, Sheldon R, Benditt DG, et al. Correction to: 2017 ACC/AHA/HRS Guideline for the Evaluation and Management of Patients with Syncope: A report of the American College of Cardiology/American Heart Association task force on clinical practice guidelines and the Heart Rhythm Society. Circulation. 2017;136(5):e60–e122. https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000537.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 6.Wiersum-Osselton J, Romeijn B, Van den Brekel E, et al. Can we prevent vasovagal reactions in young inexperienced whole blood donors? A placebo controlled study comparing effects of a 330 vs 500 mL water drink prior to donation. Transfusion. 2019;59(2):555–65. https://doi.org/10.1111/trf.15065.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Tomaino M, Romeo C, Vitale E, et al. Physical counter-pressure manoeuvers in preventing syncopal recurrence in patients older than 40 years with recurrent neurally mediated syncope: A controlled study from the Third International Study on Syncope of Uncertain Etiology (ISSUE-3). Europace. 2014;16(10):1515–20. https://doi.org/10.1093/europace/euu125.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Romme JJCM, Van Dijk N, Go-Schön IK, Reitsma JB, Wieling W. Effectiveness of Midodrine treatment in patients with recurrent vasovagal syncope not responding to non-pharmacological treatment (STAND-trial). Europace. 2011;13(11):1639–47. https://doi.org/10.1093/europace/eur200.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar