A South African Experience of Building Energy Retrofit Project Challenges and Solutions
- 12 Downloads
Delivering building energy retrofit project will bring about economic gains, while enhancing social well-being and engendering sustainable development. However, building energy retrofit projects encompass additional considerations and requirements in terms of process, material, expertise, and technology. All these factors constitute complexities in the delivery of the project. In addressing this problem, the paper presents how stakeholders understand implementation challenges in the delivering of projects amongst South African service providers. The case-based study highlighted the challenges, and solution concerning the methodologies that are appropriate in ameliorating the situations.
KeywordsBuilding Challenges Energy Retrofit
- Cheung, M., Foo, S., & Granadino, J. (2000). Seismic retrofit of existing buildings: Innovative alternatives (pp. 1–10). Canada: Public Works and Government Services.Google Scholar
- Creswell, J. W. (2013). Research design: Qualitative, quantitative, and mixed methods approach (4th ed.). Los Angeles: SAGE.Google Scholar
- Gray, D. E. (2014). Doing research in the real World (3rd ed.). London: SAGE Publishing Ltd.Google Scholar
- IPCC. (2007). Climate change 2007: Synthesis report (AR4). IPCC Fourth Assessment Report. New York: Cambridge University Press.Google Scholar
- Kaya, Y. (1990). Impact of carbon dioxide emission control on GNP growth: interpretation of proposed scenarios. Paper presented to the IPCC Energy and Industry Subgroup, Response Strategies Working Group, Paris. (Mimeo).Google Scholar
- Miller, E., & Buys, L. (2011). Retrofitting commercial office buildings for sustainability: Tenants expectations and experiences. Management and Innovation for a Sustainable Built Environment, 3, 33–50.Google Scholar
- Sullivan, L., Mark, B. and Parnell, T. (2006). Lessons for the application of renewable energy technologies in high density urban locations. Proceedings of the 23rd Conference on Passive and Low Energy Architecture (PLEA 2006), Geneva, Switzerland, 6–8 September 2006Google Scholar
- Sutrisna, M. (2009). Research methodology in doctoral research: Understanding the meaning of conducting qualitative research. Working paper presented in ARCOM Doctorial Workshop. John Moores University, Liverpool, 12 May 2009.Google Scholar
- Wilkinson, S. (2011). The sustainable retrofit potential in lower quality office stock in the central business district. Amsterdam: Management and Innovation for a Sustainable Built Environment.Google Scholar
- World Commission on Environment and Development. (1987). Our common future: Report of the World commission on environment and development. New York: United Nations. Retrieved July 23, 2018, from http://www.un-documents.net/ocf-02.htm.