Challenges and Solutions in Recommender Systems
- 38 Downloads
Recommender Systems play a huge part in most of our lives today. A large portion of today’s digital customers rely on such programs to shape their usage of online markets. The main objective of such systems is to build relationships between the products and its users and to help them make the best decisions depending on their needs. There are 4 main types of Recommender Systems that follow different methods in order to satisfy user preferences by filtering through data in an efficient manner.
Content-based filtering systems suggest items based on attributes they share with other similar items. Collaborative filtering systems analyze the past behaviour of the customer and recommend items they might find interesting. Demographic filtering uses pre-existing and already compiled data about the behaviour of the customer based on population statistics and uses it to create a list of recommendations and the Hybrid filtering system is a combination of all these systems. Essentially, recommender systems filter through large amounts of data to give the user personalized results. This paper explains and analyzes the Filtering Systems in depth and delves into the challenges these systems face in order to produce accurate suggestions.
KeywordsRecommender systems Content based filtering systems Collaborative filtering systems Hybrid filtering User profiles
- 4.Jain, S., Grover, A., Thakur, P.S., Choudhary, S.K.: Trends, problems and solutions of recommender system. In: International Conference on Computing, Communication and Automation (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Su, X., Khoshgoftaar, T.M.: A survey of collaborative filtering techniques. Adv. Artif. Intell. (2009)Google Scholar
- 6.Schafer, J.B., Frankowski, D., Herlocker, J., Sen, S.: Collaborative filtering recommender systems. In: The Adaptive Web (2007)Google Scholar
- 9.Melville, P., Mooney, R.J., Nagarajan, R.: Content-boosted collaborative filtering for improved recommendations. In: AAAI/IAAI (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Shahabi, C., Banaei-Kashani, F., Chen, Y.S., Yoda, M.D.: An accurate and scalable web-based recommendation system. In: Cooperative Information Systems (2001)Google Scholar
- 11.Xu, S., Jiang, H., Lau, F.: Personalized online document, image and video recommendation via commodity eye-tracking. In: Proceedings of the 2008 ACM Conference on Recommender Systems (2008)Google Scholar
- 12.Shah, K., Ali, Z., Ullah, I.: Recommender Systems: Issues, Challenges, and Research Opportunities. Springer, Singapore (2016)Google Scholar
- 13.Mohamed, M.H., Khafagy, M., Ibrahim, M.H.: Recommender systems challenges and solutions survey. In: 2019 International Conference on Innovative Trends in Computer Engineering (ITCE 2019), Aswan, Egypt, 2–4 February 2019Google Scholar