Biliary Stones Extraction
- 45 Downloads
Stones extraction is challenging even for small stones since many factors need to be considered: anatomy of the bile ducts, stone size and number, choice of the device (balloon vs. basket), and technical details (handling of the devices, axis, traction).
Endoscopic papillary large balloon dilatation changed the approach to biliary stones making endoscopic extraction more effective, reducing the need for mechanical lithotripsy which is considered also dangerous and technically demanding. Cholangioscopy-assisted lithotripsy is an advanced technique needed in case of failed extraction using other conventional methods.
KeywordsBiliary stones Dormia basket Fogarty balloon ERCP Mechanical lithotripsy Balloon dilatation Endoscopic papillary large balloon dilatation (EPLBD) Endoscopic sphincterotomy Personalized medicine
(AVI 192276 kb)
(AVI 223388 kb)
- 5.Fujita Y, Iwasaki A, Sato T, Fujisawa T, Sekino Y, Hosono K, Matsuhashi N, Sakamaki K, Nakajima A, Kubota K. Feasibility of endoscopic papillary large balloon dilation in patients with difficult bile duct stones without dilatation of the lower part of the extrahepatic bile duct. Gut Liver. 2017;11(1):149–55.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Ishiwatari H, Kawakami H, Hisai H, Yane K, Onodera M, Eto K, Haba S, Okuda T, Ihara H, Kukitsu T, Matsumoto R, Kitaoka K, Sonoda T, Hayashi T. Balloon catheter versus basket catheter for endoscopic bile duct stone extraction: a multicenter randomized trial. Endoscopy. 2016;48(4):350–7.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Ozawa N, Yasuda I, Doi S, Iwashita T, Shimizu M, Mukai T, Nakashima M, Ban T, Kojima I, Matsuda K, Matsuda M, Ishida Y, Okabe Y, Ando N, Iwata K. Prospective randomized study of endoscopic biliary stone extraction using either a basket or a balloon catheter: the BasketBall study. J Gastroenterol. 2017;52(5):623–30.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Kim TH, Kim JH, Seo DW, Lee DK, Reddy ND, Rerknimitr R, Ratanachu-Ek T, Khor CJ, Itoi T, Yasuda I, Isayama H, Lau JY, Wang HP, Chan HH, Hu B, Kozarek RA, Baron TH. International consensus guidelines for endoscopic papillary large-balloon dilation. Gastrointest Endosc. 2016;83(1):37–47.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Thomas M, Howell DA, Carr-Locke D, Mel Wilcox C, Chak A, Raijman I, Watkins JL, Schmalz MJ, Geenen JE, Catalano MF. Mechanical lithotripsy of pancreatic and biliary stones: complications and available treatment options collected from expert centers. Am J Gastroenterol. 2007;102(9):1896–902.CrossRefGoogle Scholar