Patient Management before and after EUS/ERCP
- 34 Downloads
Good patient management already starts in advance with careful evaluation of the patient's history and condition with all comorbidities and strict indication of the endoscopic procedure, either for endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS) or endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP). This is necessary to avoid complications of these potentially risky endoscopic interventions. Another important requirement before endoscopy is informed written consent of the patient. During the endoscopic procedure, excellent patient management includes cautious sedation, simultaneous monitoring, radiation protection, an experienced endoscopy team considering prophylaxis and management of potential complications. Only by considering all these aspects a successful procedure and full patient satisfaction will be achieved.
KeywordsRisk factors Informed consent Endoscopic ultrasonography (EUS) Endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography (ERCP) Sedation Radiation protection Antibiotic prophylaxis Monitoring Complications Team Time-out
- 1.Finkelmeier F, Tal A, Ajouaou M, Filmann N, Zeuzem S, Waidmann O, Albert JG. ERCP in old and very old patients—increased risk of sedation complications but low frequency of post-ERCP pancreatitis. Gastrointest Endosc. 2015. pii: S0016-5107(15)02392-5. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.gie.2015.04.032.
- 2.Manes G, et al. Endoscopic management of common bile duct stones: European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) guideline. Endoscopy. 2019;51:472–91. https://doi.org/10.1055/a-0862-0346.
- 4.Dumonceau JM, Riphaus A, Schreiber F, Vilmann P, Beilenhoff U, Aparicio JR, Vargo JJ, Manolaraki M, Wientjes C, Rácz I, Hassan C, Paspatis G. Non-anesthesiologist administration of propofol for gastrointestinal endoscopy: European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, European Society of Gastroenterology and Endoscopy Nurses and Associates Guideline—updated June 2015. Endoscopy. 2015;47(12):1175–89. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0034-1393414. Epub 2015 Nov 12.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Dumonceau JM, Garcia-Fernandez FJ, Verdun FR, Carinou E, Donadille L, Damilakis J, Mouzas I, Paraskeva K, Ruiz-Lopez N, Struelens L, Tsapaki V, Vanhavere F, Valatas V, Sans-Merce M, European Society of Digestive Endoscopy. Radiation protection in digestive endoscopy: European Society of Digestive Endoscopy (ESGE) guideline. Endoscopy. 2012;44(4):408–21. https://doi.org/10.1055/s-0031-1291791. Epub 2012 Mar 21.CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Dumonceau JM, et al. ERCP-related adverse events: European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) Guideline. Endoscopy. 2020;52(2):127–49.Google Scholar