Characterizing Single Line to Ground (SLG) Events with Indian Power Grid’s Synchrophasor Data
- 73 Downloads
The availability of Phasor Measurement Units (PMUs) and power system there of opens new avenues for automated monitoring and control of power system. A first step to automated, real time power system control is to detect and classify power system events in an online fashion. The Indian power grid (IPG) has also introduced synchrophasor technology and has been fast progressing to install over 1700 PMUs across the country. The challenge however remains to use such PMU data for online event detection and classification for an automated control. Such as event classifier would require data driven characteristics of different events to be extracted. In this paper, an attempt has been made to characterize a very common transmission line event, namely, single line to ground (SLG) events (faults) based on data collected from PMUs from the Northern region of the IPG.
KeywordsPhasor Measurement Unit (PMU) Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) Single Line to Ground (SLG) event
The work done in this article was financially supported by the Science Engineering & Research Board (SERB), India under grant sanction: EMR/2017/001508. The data used was provided by POSOCO and NRLDC. The authors gratefully acknowledge the support provided.
- 2.Kumar, D., Ghosh, D., Mohanta, D.K.: Simulation of phasor measurement unit (PMU) in MATLAB. In: 2015 International Conference on Signal Processing and Communication Engineering Systems, pp. 15–18. IEEE, January 2015Google Scholar
- 3.Soonee, S.K., Agrawal, V.K., Agarwal, P.K., Narsimhan, S.R., Porwal, R.K., Pandey, V.: Experiences of synchrophasors initiative in India. rue 2, 109 (2014)Google Scholar
- 4.Mukhopadhyay, P., Seshadri, P., Pandey, V., Prajapati, P., Kumar1, C., Patil, S., Chitturi, S., Mahendranath, M.: Sequence component based event analysis using synchrophasor measurements. In: 5th International Exhibition and Conference on New Technologies in T & D, Renewable Energy Integration, Smart Grid, Energy Efficiency and Communication (2015)Google Scholar
- 5.Mukhopadhyay, P., Narasimhan, S.R., Saha, S.K., Anumasula, R., Kumar, C., Patil, S., Chitturi, S.: Automated fault analysis using synchrophasor measurements. In: Latest Technologies in T & D, Renewable Energy Integration, Smart Grid, Energy Efficiency, CommunicationGoogle Scholar
- 6.Dahal, O.P., Brahma, S.M.: Preliminary work to classify the disturbance events recorded by phasor measurement units. In: Proceedings of IEEE Power Energy Society General Meeting, pp. 1–8, July 2012Google Scholar
- 8.Singh, A.P., Kumar, G.H., Paik, S.S., Roy, D.S.: Storage and analysis of synchrophasor data for event detection in Indian power system using hadoop ecosystem. In: Jain, L.C., et al. (eds.) Data and Communication Networks. Advances in Intelligent Systems and Computing, vol. 847. Springer, Heidelberg (2019)Google Scholar