OSH Empowerment of Portuguese Agri-food MSMEs Through the Application of Computational Tools of Risks Assessment
- 109 Downloads
The Agri-food Industry is the largest Portuguese Industry, constituted mainly by micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs). Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) conditions in an agri-food MSME have its own characteristics depending on the specific food sector. This condition makes the prevention strategies implementation difficult and heightens the problematic of work accidents. In this chapter are described online and offline free computational tools developed to perform OSH risks assessment in the dairy, meat processing, bakery and horticultural subsectors. The tools provide a simple and expedite diagnostic of occupational hazards and risks. Depending on the input data, the tools output identifies successful practices and easy-to-implement solutions for occupational risk prevention. These computational tools aim to empower Portuguese agri-food SMEs to implement innovative OSH management practices in order to prevent work accidents.
KeywordsAgri-food industry Occupational health and safety MSMEs Computational tools OiRA tool
The study was funded by Portugal 2020, Competir 2020—Operational Program for Competitiveness and Internationalization (POCI)—System of Support to Collective Actions (SIAC: 04/SIAC/2015, Ref: 16159). The authors were also funded in part by Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (FCT), under project UID/EMS/00151/2013 C-MAST, with reference POCI-01-0145-FEDER-007718.
- 1.Muller, P., Mattes, A., Klitou, D., Lonkeu, O., Ramada, P., Ruiz, F.A., Devnani, S., Farrenkopf, J., Makowska, A., Mankovska, N., Robin, N., Steigertahl, I.: Annual report on European SMEs 2017/2018. The 10th Anniversary of the Small Business Act. European Commission (2018)Google Scholar
- 2.Pordata: homepage: https://www.pordata.pt/. Last accessed 25 Oct 2019
- 3.AICEP: Fileira agroalimentar portuguesa um sucesso fora de portas. AICEP Portugal Global, vol. 119 (2019)Google Scholar
- 4.FIPA. Homepage: https://www.fipa.pt. Last accessed 25 Oct 2019
- 5.Gaspar, P.D., Elias, M., Pereira, C.D., Andrade, L.P., Pinheiro, R., Paiva, T., Soares, C., Gândara, J., Henriques, M., Laranjo, M., Potes, M.E., Santos, A.C.A., Santos, F.C., Silva, P.D., Nunes, J., Coutinho, P., Carneiro, J., Várzea, J.P., Vaz-Velho, M., Araújo, M.A., Ribeiro, M., Santos, J., Matias, J.: Caracterização e Análise das Condições de Segurança e Saúde no Trabalho em empresas Agroalimentares. +AGRO—Qualificação Organizacional, Energética e de Segurança e Saúde no Trabalho da Indústria Agroalimentar. In: Gaspar, P.D., Elias, M. (eds.) Universidade da Beira Interior, Covilhã, Portugal (2018)Google Scholar
- 6.Lourenço, M., Lima, T.M., Gaspar, P.D., Charrua Santos, F.: Assessment and improvement opportunities for occupational health and safety in the portuguese food processing industry. In: Occupational and Environmental Safety and Health. Studies in Systems, Decision and Control, vol. 202. Springer (2019). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-14730-3_76