Introducing Parametric CAD in a First Year Course in Engineering Degree: A Case Study
- 121 Downloads
Teaching in technical drawing is evolving towards new paradigms based on 3D modeling. This tendency is reflected in the evolution of the first course subject of technical drawing, common to different bachelor’s degrees (Mechanical, Industrial Technologies, Electrical and Chemical) in Engineering at Universitat Jaume I. Nevertheless, although 3D modelling has been gaining importance, its introduction to students has always been preceded by lessons on projection systems. In this course, as a step further in a general methodological change, it was proposed to introduce students to the different projection systems and the achievement of engineering drawings from 3D models, improving their spatial vision and shape recognition. Aiming for a more intuitive introduction to 3D modeling, the use of a specific commercial parametric CAD software has been implemented. Moreover, its use will provide students a basis to work on contents of subsequent subjects (finite element analysis, computer-aided manufacturing, etc.). Beyond the above advantages, the effect of this implementation has been assessed on academic performance through scores comparisons. Furthermore, both students and teachers answered specific questionnaires, obtaining that students prefer the new software implemented in several aspects assessed. It was also obtained that both students and teachers perceive the methodological change as an improvement regarding the past course, what is coherent with the score increase reported this present course regarding the past one.
Keywords3D modelling Parametric CAD Learning experience Engineering drawing
The research work reported here was made possible by the Innovative Education Project titled “Aprofundiment en conceptes de modelatge 3D paramètric” given by USE - Universitat Jaume I.
- 3.Rubio Garcı́a, R.: Present state of CAD teaching in Spanish Universities. Comput. Educ. 44, 201–215 (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Faath, A.: Interdisciplinary and consistent use of a 3D CAD model for CAx education in engineering studies. In: Volume 5: Education and Globalization. ASME 2016 International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Globalization. ASME (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.Jeli, Z.: Usage of 3D computer modelling in learning engineering graphics. In: Virtual Learning. InTech (2016)Google Scholar
- 6.Contero, M.: Learning support tools for developing spatial abilities in engineering design. Int. J. Eng. Educ. 22, 470–477 (2006)Google Scholar
- 8.Gracia-Ibáñez, V.: Methodologies to improve academic results even when increasing the level of demand: an experience in cad teaching. In: International Congress on Education, Innovation and Learning Technologies Proceedings (ICEILT), Barcelona (2014)Google Scholar