On the Internationalization of CAD Learning Through an English Glossary
- 128 Downloads
The internationalization of higher education is an essential factor to improve the quality and efficiency of Spanish universities, providing students with the main skills, and knowledge to interact effectively in an international and multicultural work context as professionals. The internationalization of universities must be a transversal process, not exclusive of its territorial dimension, aimed at advancing towards a society and a knowledge economy that propitiate a solid and stable model of development and growth. To this end, professors in the area of Graphic Expression for Engineering at the Universitat Jaume I (UJI) have developed an online glossary of specific terms in English related to the 3D modelling CAD tools used in Graphic Engineering subjects. This new online tool seeks to train students to increase their technical vocabulary in English and improve their learning and communication skills to face possible collaborations in future European projects. The glossary is introduced weekly to the students during the course. Subsequently, a survey is conducted to the students to verify the effectiveness of the training. This work collects the results and conclusions of this analysis.
KeywordsOnline glossary 3D modelling Engineering graphics
The research work reported here was made possible by the Innovative Education Project: “Aprofundiment en conceptes de modelatge 3D parametric” USE - UJI.
- 1.Choudary, V.: The importance of training engineering students in soft-skills. Int. Mon. Ref. J. Res. Manag. Technol. III, 61–64 (2014)Google Scholar
- 2.Schulz, B.: The importance of soft skills: Education beyond academic knowledge. J. Lang. Commun. 2, 146–154 (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Summary by language size. Ethnologue. https://www.ethnologue.com/. Accessed 03 Apr 2019
- 4.López de la Madrid, M.: Uso de las TIC en la educación superior de México. Un estudio de caso. Apertura 7, 63–81 (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Bertoline, G.R., Wiebe, E.N., Hartman, N., Ross, W.: Fundamentals of Graphics Communication. McGraw-Hill, New York (2010)Google Scholar
- 6.Lieu, D.K., Sorby, S.: Visualization, Modeling and Graphics for Engineering Design. Delmar, Cengage Learning, Boston (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Technical graphics communication glossary. http://highered.mheducation.com/sites/0073655988/student_view0/glossary27/index.html. Accessed 30 Mar 2019
- 8.SolidWorks. http://help.solidworks.com/2018/English/SolidWorks/sldworks/c_solidworks_web_site.htm. Accessed 30 Mar 2019
- 9.CAD 3D English glossary. https://sites.google.com/uji.es/cad-3d-english-glossary/presentation. Accessed 01 Apr 2019
- 10.Brooke, J.: SUS: a “quick and dirty” usability scale. In: Jordan, W., Thomas, B., Weerdmeester, B.A., McClelland, A.L. (eds.) Usability Evaluation in Industry. Taylor and Francis, London (1996)Google Scholar
- 11.Brooke, J.: SUS: a retrospective. J. Usability Stud. 8(2), 29–40 (2013)Google Scholar