The Model Based Definition Features - MBD Applied to the Technical Computer Aid Design and Drawing
- 130 Downloads
The graphic drawing of the industrial products, that is mainly associated with the technical drawing, will probably evolve towards the progressive abandonment of 2D representation and paper-based support due to the new possibilities that the computer aided design (CAD) tool have developed; these new features are the 3D representation of these objects using computers, tables and other digital media that provide a better visualization and new features and, in another way, allow the use of the augmented reality technologies, the collaborative work. These tools are currently very mature and have been included in most of the technical offices of the companies. Another advantage of these tools are that they allow the measurement of dimensions, the representation of the pieces and mechanical assemblies, the generation of cuts, etc.
However, in order to correctly represent all the necessary graphic information, it is essential to include in the 3D model some aspects such as main dimensions or the representation of the tolerances, surface finishing, welding, material bill tables, gear data, review tables, etc. Consequently, main CAD tools have included the Model-Based Definition tools or MDF to include such information. This tools in conjunction with the range of possibilities that 3D pdf documents provide, will be determinant in the way of how the technical drawing will evolve.
The aim of this article is to deal with this topic and to analyze the MDF tools, their advantages and disadvantages and their functionality for two of the main 3D CAD programs: Solid Works and Autodesk Inventor.
KeywordsMDF Technical drawing CAD 3D
- 1.PTD. https://www.ptc.com/en/products/cad/creo/model-based-definition. Accessed 03 Apr 2019
- 2.Bijnens, J., Cheshire, D.: The current state of model base definition. Comput.-Aided Des. Appl. 1(1), 308–318 (2019)Google Scholar
- 3.Fernandez-Vazquez, A.: Son aún necesarios los programas CAD 2d en el ámbito de la ingeniería y la arquitectura. In: JORNADA INGEGRAF 2016 “Ingegraf+D+i” Contribución de la ingeniería gráfica a la sociedad Universidad de Zaragoza, pp. 165–169. Universidad de Zaragoza, Zaragoza (2016)Google Scholar
- 4.Barnard, A.: Promoting model-based definition to establish a complete product definition. In: ASME 2016 International Manufacturing Science and Engineering Conference, pp. 1–12. ASME (2016)Google Scholar
- 5.AENOR regulations. https://www.aenor.com/normas-y-libros/buscador-de-normas. Accessed 03 Apr 2019
- 6.Inventor help. http://help.autodesk.com/view/INVNTOR/2018/ENU/. Accessed 03 Apr 2019
- 7.Solid works help. http://help.solidworks.com/. Accessed 03 Apr 2019