The Inclined Plane Rosary Pump of Benito Bails’ ‘Elements of Mathematics’ (1790): Geometric Modeling and Virtual Reconstruction
- 131 Downloads
This paper shows the geometric modeling and virtual reconstruction of the inclined plane rosary pump included in the work ‘Elements of Mathematics’ by Benito Bails of 1790, specifically in Volume X, Tome IX, Part II on Hydraulic Architecture. The software Autodesk Inventor Professional has been used, which has allowed us to obtain its geometric documentation (plan of the ensemble, isometric and exploded views and 3D digital restitution). The material used in this research has been downloaded from the Biblioteca Digital Hispánica of the National Library of Spain. However, and as a drawback, it is necessary to indicate that the only available sheet does not have a graphic scale, nor does there exist expressly in the specification any reference measure that would allow obtaining said graphic scale, which is insufficient for obtaining a reliable 3D CAD model. For this reason, a graphic scale has been adopted from an estimated dimension of a known element (yoke), as well as a series of geometric, dimensional and movement constraints (degrees of freedom) in order to obtain a coherent model.
KeywordsBenito Bails Inclined plane rosary pump Geometric modeling Virtual reconstruction Industrial heritage Industrial archeology
The research work reported here was made possible by the Extracurricular Practices Program with the Research Group ‘Engineering Graphics and Industrial Archaeology’ of the University of Jaén.
- 1.Biography of Benito Bails. https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benito_Bails. Accessed 16 May 2019
- 2.Principles of Seville. http://smartheritage.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/FINAL-DRAFT.pdf. Accessed 16 May 2019
- 3.London Charter. http://www.londoncharter.org. Accessed 29 Mar 2019
- 4.Bails, B.: Elementos de Matemática. Volumen X. Tomo IX. Parte II. Que trata de la Arquitectura Hidráulica. Imprenta de la Viuda de D. Joaquín Ibarra, Madrid (1790)Google Scholar
- 5.Shih, R.H.: Parametric Modeling with Autodesk Inventor 2016. SDC Publications, Mission (2015)Google Scholar
- 6.Rojas-Sola, J.I., De la Morena-de la Fuente, E.: Agustín de Betancourt’s plunger lock: approach to its geometric modeling with Autodesk Inventor Professional. In: Eynard, B., Nigrelli, V., Oliveri, S.M., Peris-Fajarnes, G., Rizzuti, S. (eds.) International Joint Conference on Mechanics, Design Engineering and Advanced Manufacturing (JCM), pp. 757–765. Springer, Heidelberg (2017). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-45781-9_76Google Scholar