A Cluster-Based Small Cell On/Off Scheme for Energy Efficiency Optimization in Ultra-Dense Networks
- 178 Downloads
Ultra-Dense Networks (UDN) can greatly meet the demand for explosively growing data traffic via deploying small cells (SCs) densely. However, the SCs densification causes higher energy consumption and more severe inter-cell interference (ICI). The SC on/off control is one of the effective ways to solve above problems, but the challenge is to maintain network coverage while avoiding degradation of the quality of service (QoS) of user equipment (UEs). In this paper, we formulate energy efficiency (EE) optimization problem in stochastic geometry-based network and take into consideration the QoS of UEs and ICI to maximize the EE. The solution is obtained by dividing the problem into SCs clustering and intra-cluster SC on/off control. We first use an improved K-means clustering algorithm to divide the dense SCs into disjoint clusters according to the distance and density of SCs. Then, within each cluster, selecting a SC as the cluster head (CH) is responsible for performing SC on/off operations under taking minimum rate of UEs and ICI as constraints. In addition, a heuristic search algorithm (HSA) is proposed for the intra-cluster SC on/off control. Simulation results demonstrate that the proposed scheme can effectively improve the network energy efficiency and suppress interference.
KeywordsUDN Small cell on/off Clustering Energy efficiency
This work was jointly supported by the National Natural Science Foundation in China (61601075), the Natural Science Foundation Project of CQUPT (A2019-40).
- 6.Zhuang, H., Chen, J., Wu, D.O.: Joint access and backhaul resource management for ultra-dense networks. In: IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), Paris, pp. 1–6 (2017)Google Scholar
- 13.Tao, R., Zhang, J., Chu, X.: An energy saving small cell sleeping mechanism with cell expansion in heterogeneous networks. In: 2016 IEEE 83rd Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC Spring), Nanjing, pp. 1–5 (2016)Google Scholar
- 14.Wang, Q., Zheng, J.: A distributed base station On/Off Control Mechanism for energy efficiency of small cell networks. In: 2015 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), London, pp. 3317–3322 (2015)Google Scholar
- 16.Ye, Y., Zhang, H., Xiong, X., Liu, Y.: Dynamic min-cut clustering for energy savings in ultra-dense networks. In: 2015 IEEE 82nd Vehicular Technology Conference (VTC 2015-Fall), Boston, MA, pp. 1–5 (2015)Google Scholar
- 22.Peng, C., Wang, L., Liu, C.: Optimal base station deployment for small cell networks with energy-efficient power control. In: 2015 IEEE International Conference on Communications (ICC), London, pp. 1863–1868 (2015)Google Scholar
- 23.Tung, L., Wang, L., Chen, K.: An interference-aware small cell on/off mechanism in hyper dense small cell networks. In: 2017 International Conference on Computing, Networking and Communications (ICNC), Santa Clara, CA, pp. 767–771 (2017)Google Scholar