Healthcare Serial Poisoning
- 11 Downloads
This chapter defines healthcare serial poisoning and considers estimates of its prevalence. A historical review indicates the occupations of perpetrators and the range of jurisdictions involved. Several cases are examined: German nurse Niels Högel who killed many hospital patients; Kimberly Clark Saenz of Massachusetts who poisoned dialysis patients by putting bleach into their IV lines; US nurse Charles Cullen who confessed to killing more than 30 hospital patients; and Dr Harold Shipman, a UK physician who killed hundreds of his patients over decades. These are discussed in relation to identifying ‘red flags’ of concern, Situational Crime Prevention (SCP), and means, motive, opportunity, location, and perpetrator-victim relationships.
KeywordsHealthcare serial poisoning Niels Högel Kimberly Clark Saenz Charles Cullen Harold Shipman
- Associated Press. (1990, January 25). Nurse Gets 50 Years to Life. Times Daily.Google Scholar
- Associated Press. (2006, October 3). Life Term for Ex-nurse in Patient Killings. NBC News. Retrieved from http://www.nbcnews.com/id/15119953/ns/us_news-crime_and_courts/t/life-term-ex-nurse-patient-killings/#.WgwGcWi0OM8.
- Behavioural Analysis Unit. (2005). Serial Murders: Multi-disciplinary Perspectives for Investigators. Washington, DC: National Center for the Analysis of Violent Crime, US Department of Justice.Google Scholar
- Bryant, E. (2003, January 31). Nurse Sentenced for Killing Patients. United Press International. Retrieved from www.upi.com/Business_News/Security-Industry/2003/01/31/Nurse-sentenced-for-killing-patients/UPI-96721044036550/.
- Campbell, D. (2011, October 4). ‘Angel of Death’ Colin Norris Could Be Cleared of Insulin Murders. The Guardian.Google Scholar
- Cleaver, H. (2006, February 8). Angel of Death ‘Driven by Kindness’. The Telegraph.Google Scholar
- Connell, R. (2011, March 28). Dorothea Puente Dies at 82: Boarding House Operator Who Killed Tenants. Los Angeles Times.Google Scholar
- Daily Mail Reporter. (2013, April 29). ‘Angel of Death’ Nurse Who Murdered at Least 40 Patients to Become One of America’s Worst Serial Killers Speaks from Prison for the First Time to Chillingly Claim: ‘I Thought I Was Helping’. Mail Online.Google Scholar
- Day, M. (2014, October 14). Italian Nurse Daniela Poggiali Is Accused of Killing ‘Up to 38 Patients Because She Found Them Annoying’. The Independent. Retrieved from http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/italian-nurse-under-investigation-for-killing-up-to-38-patients-because-she-found-them-annoying-9793181.html.
- DW News Report. (2019). Retrieved from https://allthatsinteresting.com/niels-hogel.
- Eddy, M. (2019, May 10). Hundreds of Bodies, One Nurse: German Serial Killer Leaves as Many Questions as Victims. New York Times.Google Scholar
- Ephemeral New York. (2015). Serial Killer Frederick Mors. Retrieved from https://ephemeralnewyork.wordpress.com/tag/serial-killer-frederick-mors/.
- Farragher, T. (2000, October 8). Death on Ward C _ Caregiver Or Killer. The Boston Globe Online. Retrieved from http://cache.boston.com/globe/metro/packages/nurse/part1.htm.
- Fox News. (2012, March 31). Texas Nurse Convicted in Bleach Deaths Case. Retrieved from http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/31/texas-nurse-convicted-in-bleach-deaths-case.html.
- Glaister, J. (1954). The Power of Poison. London: C. Johnson.Google Scholar
- Graczyk, M., & Associated Press. (2015, November 14). Nurse’s Bleach Injection Deaths Trial Begins. KIMATV. Retrieved from http://kimatv.com/news/nation-world/nurses-bleach-injection-deaths-trial-begins-11-14-2015-230029540.
- Hickey, E. (2010). Serial Murderers and Their Victims (5th ed.). Belmont, CA: Wadsorth.Google Scholar
- Holmes, R. M., & Holmes, S. T. (2010). Serial Murder (3rd ed.). London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Laws, J. (2019, May 16). ‘Angel of Death’ German Nurse 42 Who Killed 97 Hospital Patients Should Face Life in Jail Say Prosecutors. Mail On Line and APF.Google Scholar
- Lieberman, P. (2002, April 18). Hospital ‘Angle of Death’ Gets Life Without Parole. Los Angeles Times. Retrieved from http://articles.latimes.com/2002/apr/18/news/mn-38536.
- Maeder, T. (1980). The Unspeakable Crimes of Dr Petiot. Boston, MA: Little Brown.Google Scholar
- McQuigge, M, (2017, June 2). If You Ever Do This Again, We’ll Turn You in Pastor Tells Killer Nurse. The Canadian Press. Retrieved from www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/06/02/if-you-ever-do-this-again-well-turn-you-in-pastor-told-killer-nurse.html.
- Oltermann, P. (2017, August 28). German Nurse Suspected of Murdering at Least 90 Patients. The Guardian. Retrieved from www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/28/german-nurse-niels-hoegel-suspected-murdering-90-patients.
- Payne, S. (2006, April 19). Guilty of Murder: The Nurse Who Got His Kicks from Life-or-Death Drama. The Telegraph.Google Scholar
- Ramsland, K. (2007). Inside the Minds of Healthcare Serial Killers: Why They Kill. Westport, CT: Praeger.Google Scholar
- Reporter. (1884, May 11). Marie Jeanneret’s Death-Grim Facts in the Career of This Famous Poisoner. New York Times, p. 5. (Reprinted from The London Daily News).Google Scholar
- Reporter. (1902, July 27). Poison Her Passion. The Clinton Morning Age. Retrieved from www.news.google.com/newspapers?nid=2267&dat=19020727&id=6ncmAAAAIBAJ&sjid=CgEGAAAAIBAJ&pg=4194,996821&hl=en.
- Reporter. (1992, April 10, Friday). Nurse Pleads Guilty to Killing Three Patients. New York Times. Retrieved from www.nytimes.com/1992/04/10/us/nurse-pleads-guilty-to-killing-three-patients.html.
- Scheerhout, J. (2015). Did Killer Nurse Victorina Chua Pay Someone to Pass His Nursing Exam? Manchester Evening News. Updated 18 May 2015.Google Scholar
- Shipman Inquiry. (2005, December). Fifth Report Safeguarding Patients: Lessons from the Part – Proposals for the Future. Retrieved from http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20090808154959/http://www.the-shipman-inquiry.org.uk/fr_page.asp.
- Stewart, J. B. (1999). Blind Eye: How the Medical Establishment Let a Doctor Get Away with Murder. New York: Simon and Schuster.Google Scholar
- United Press International. (1986, March 31). Suspected Nurse Had History of Mental Illness. Orlando Sentinel.Google Scholar
- Wilson, C., & Seaman, D. (1983). Encyclopaedia of Modern Murder: 1962–1982. London: Barker.Google Scholar
- Yorker, B. C., Kizer, K. W., Lampe, P., Forest, A. R. W., Lannan, J. M., & Russell, D. A. (2006). Serial Murder by Healthcare Professionals. Journal of Forensic Science, 51(6), 1–10.Google Scholar