Climate Change and the Pacific Region: Some Future Trends
- 30 Downloads
This chapter briefly outlines some future trends on climate change in the Pacific region, and suggests some areas where action is needed in order to better prepare the region for the many challenges posed by a changing climate change. In particular, it suggests the creation of a “Marshall Plan for Pacific Small Island Countries”, which may offer a long term basis upon which climate change adaptation and resilience efforts may be performed.
KeywordsClimate change Pacific-extreme events Health-resilience
The support from the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research (BMBF) to the project “Climate Change and Prevalence Study of ZIKA Virus Diseases in Fiji (Zika under a climate change and epidemiological perspective)” is gratefully acknowledged.
- ADB (2012) Pacific risks, vulnerabilities, and key impacts of climate change and natural disasters pacific regional strategic program for climate resilience. ManilaGoogle Scholar
- Campbell J, Warrick O (2014) Climate change and migration issues in the Pacific. United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific. Bangkok, FijiGoogle Scholar
- IPCC (2007) AR4 climate change 2007: synthesis report. IPCC, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- IPCC (2014) AR5 synthesis report—climate change 2014. IPCC, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- IPCC (2018) Global warming of 1.5 °C. IPCC, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- Maynard J, Gove J, Tracey D, Johnson J, Lecky J, Conklin E, Brainard R (2019) Coral reefs: vulnerability to climate change in West Hawaiʻi. NOAA, Washington, DCGoogle Scholar
- Mimura N (2007) Small islands. In: Parry M, Parry ML, Canziani O, Palutikof J, Van der Linden P, Hanson C (eds) Climate change 2007-impacts, adaptation and vulnerability: working group II contribution to the fourth assessment report of the IPCC, vol 4. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, United KingdomGoogle Scholar
- Nurse LA, McLean RF, Agard J, Briguglio LP, Duvat-Magnan V, Pelesikoti N, Tompkins E, Webb A (2014) Small islands. In: Climate change 2014: impacts, adaptation, and vulnerability. Part B: regional aspects. Contribution of working group II to the fifth assessment report of the Intergovernmental Panel on ClimateGoogle Scholar
- WHO (2018) Climate change and health. Retrieved 07 Sept 2019 from https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/climate-change-and-health
- World Meteorological Organization (WMO) (2019) What is the Global Framework for Climate Services and what will it accomplish?. WMO, GenevaGoogle Scholar