This chapter provides a summary of the potential relevance of the consumer-based examination of extreme sports developed in this book, from the point of view of both theory and managerial practice. Furthermore, this chapter discusses the major limitations of this book; for instance, addressing its theoretical limits. The chapter closes with proposed directions for future research.
KeywordsExtreme sports consumers Consumer psychology Extreme sports consumer behavior
- Beverland, M., Farrelly, F., & Quester, P. (2006). Brand-personal values fit and brand meanings: Exploring the role individual values play in ongoing brand loyalty in extreme sports subcultures. Advances in Consumer Research, 33(April 2014), 21–28.Google Scholar
- Buckley, R. C. (2018). To analyze thrill, define extreme sports. Frontiers in Psychology, 9(July), 1216. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpsyg.2018.01216.
- de Manzano, Ö., Cervenka, S., Jucaite, A., Hellenäs, O., Farde, L., & Ullén, F. (2013). Individual differences in the proneness to have flow experiences are linked to dopamine D2-receptor availability in the dorsal striatum. NeuroImage, 67, 1–6. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2012.10.072.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Forbes. (2014). X Games at 20: The evolution of action sports. Retrieved from https://www.forbes.com/sites/alanaglass/2014/06/07/x-games-at-20-the-evolution-of-action-sports/#7b84752452f6.
- Fullerton, S., & Merz, G. R. (2008). The four domains of sports marketing: A conceptual framework. Sport Marketing Quarterly, 17(2), 90–108.Google Scholar
- Gray, D., & McEvoy, C. (2005). Sports marketing strategies and tactics. In B. L. Parkhouse (Ed.), The management of sport: Its foundation and application. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- McKinsey. (2018). ‘True Gen’: Generation Z and its implications for companies. Retrieved November 1, 2019, from https://www.mckinsey.com/industries/consumer-packaged-goods/our-insights/true-gen-generation-z-and-its-implications-for-companies.
- Medium. (2019). Generation Z is transforming how sports content is watched and distributed. Retrieved November 29, 2019, from https://medium.com/instant-sponsor/generation-z-is-transforming-how-sports-content-is-watched-and-distributed-f46696b800c9.
- Raggiotto, F., Scarpi, D., & Moretti, A. (2019). Advertising on the edge: Appeal effectiveness when advertising in extreme sports. International Journal of Advertising, 1–24. https://doi.org/10.1080/02650487.2019.1653009.
- Tough Mudder. (2019). Retrieved December 20, 2019, from https://toughmudder.co.uk/.
- Zanchi, D., Viallon, M., Goff, C. Le, Millet, G. P., Giardini, G., Croisille, P., & Haller, S. (2017). Extreme mountain ultra-marathon leads to acute but transient increase in cerebral water diffusivity and plasma biomarkers levels changes. Frontiers in Physiology, 7(Jan), 664. https://doi.org/10.3389/fphys.2016.00664.