The Sexual Pharmacy
- 14 Downloads
This chapter examines the pharmaceutical tablet as a technique for the management of sexual appetite in the twenty-first century. It explores the emergence of Addyi (flibanserin) as a case study of how this technique produces a particular subject of pharmaceutical knowledge. The chapter considers the significance of the act of pharmaceutical ingestion on the embodied subjectivity of the consumer and the chemical constitution of the human body. The use of Addyi to manage sexual imbalance in combination with the tools of the diagnostic manual, discussed in Chap. 5, converges in the emergence of a socio-technical and knowledge-gathering subject. This subject is armed with techniques to monitor the self and gather knowledge of her sexual imbalance, a process that affirms intimacy. Indeed, the subject who swallows the pill is a fundamentally social one, that is to say, one who desires intimate contact with others.
- Addyi. 2019. Addyi (flibanserin). https://addyi.com/. Accessed 19 Jan 2019.
- Borsini, F., E. Giraldo, E. Monferini, G. Antonini, M. Parenti, G. Bietti, and A. Donetti. 1995. BIMT 17, a 5-HT2A Receptor Antagonist and 5-HT1A Receptor Full Agonist in Rat Cerebral Cortex. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Archives of Pharmacology 352 (3): 276–282.Google Scholar
- Clayton, A.H., L. Dennerstein, R. Pyke, and M. Sand. 2010. Flibanserin: A Potential Treatment for Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder in Premenopausal Women. Women’s Health 6 (5): 639–653.Google Scholar
- Food and Drug Administration. 2019. Drug Trials Snapshot: Vyleesi. https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/drug-trials-snapshots-vyleesi. Accessed 19 July 2019.
- ———. 2019. Vyleesi Label. https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2019/210557s000lbl.pdf. Accessed 19 July 2019.
- Foucault, Michel. 2003. Society Must Be Defended: Lectures at the Collège de France, 1975–76. Trans. David Macey. London: Penguin Books.Google Scholar
- Halberstam, Judith (Jack). 2005. In a Queer Time and Place: Transgender Bodies, Subcultural Lives. New York: New York University Press.Google Scholar
- Haraway, Donna J. 1991. Simians, Cyborgs and Women: The Reinvention of Nature. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Harder, Ben. 2005. Potent Medicine: Can Viagra and Other Lifestyle Drug Save Lives? Society for Science & the Public 168 (8): 124–125.Google Scholar
- Hitt, Jack. 2000. The Second Sexual Revolution. The New York Times, February 20. http://www.nytimes.com/2000/02/20/magazine/the-second-sexual-revolution.html?pagewanted=all. Accessed 19 Jan 2019.
- Laan, Ellen, and Leonore Tiefer. 2014. ‘Pink Viagra’: The Sham Drug Idea of the Year. LA Times, November 13. http://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-ed/la-oe-laan-tiefer-pink-viagra-20141114-story.html. Accessed 19 Jan 2019.
- Lamm, Steven, and Gerald Secor Couzens. 1998. The Virility Solution: Everything You Need to Know About Viagra, the Potency Pill That Can Restore and Enhance Male Sexuality. New York: Fireside Books.Google Scholar
- Loe, Meika. 2004. The Rise of Viagra: How the Little Blue Pill Changed Sex in America. New York and London: New York University Press.Google Scholar
- Lucke, Jayne. 2015. A Sexually Satisfying Event for Women, or Just a New Identity for an Old Antidepressant. The Conversation, June 6. https://theconversation.com/a-sexually-satisfying-event-for-women-or-just-a-new-identity-for-an-old-antidepressant-42734. Accessed 19 January 2019.
- Preciado, Beatriz (Paul). 2013. Testo Junkie: Sex, Drugs, and Biopolitics in the Pharmacopornographic Era. Trans. Bruce Benderson. New York: The Feminist Press.Google Scholar
- Rowland, D.L., and I.G. Motofei. 2015. The Mind and Sexuality: Introduction to a Psychophysiological Perspective. Journal of Mind and Medical Sciences 2 (1): 1–8.Google Scholar
- Sprout Pharmaceuticals. 2015. Flibanserin for the Treatment of Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder in Premenopausal Women NDA 022526. Advisory Briefing Document.Google Scholar
- ———. 2004. Sex Is Not a Natural Act and Other Essays. New York: Westview Press.Google Scholar
- Viagra. 2019. Learning: How Does Viagra Work? https://www.viagra.com/learning/how-does-viagra-work. Accessed 19 Jan 2019.