Introduction: Mass Violence and Memory in the Digital Age—Memorialization Unmoored
- 7 Downloads
This chapter introduces the themes of the edited volume, Mass Violence and Memory in the Digital Age: Memorialization Unmoored. States have long sought to monopolize the narrative-producing functions of memorialization. The advent of new technologies, particularly in the digital realm, have permitted non-state actors to engage in greater and more public participation in memorialization, and thereby in the narrative production function it entails. The chapter offers an overview of the types of ‘unmooring’ of memorialization from state control that have occurred more prominently in recent years, and it explores how the internet, artificial intelligence, and other technologies have altered the dynamics—and ethics—of memorialization. It concludes with a summary of the contributions to the rest of the volume.
- Albert Leo Schlageter. 2019. En.Wikipedia.Org. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Albert_Leo_Schlageter
- Armenian Genocide Museum and Memorial. www.ArmenianGenocideMuseum.org. Accessed 10 Nov 2019.
- Barthes, Roland. 1980. Camera Lucida: Reflections on Photography. New York: Hill and Wang.Google Scholar
- Boellstorff, Tom. 2016. For Whom the Ontology Turns: Theorizing the Digital Real. Current Anthropology 57(4): 387–407. https://www.journals.uchicago.edu/doi/pdfplus/10.1086/687362
- Conroy-Krutz, Jeffrey. 2019. “African governments are cracking down on the news media. Their citizens might be okay with that.” Washington Post. Online, May13, 2019. https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2019/05/13/african-governments-are-cracking-down-news-media-their-citizens-might-be-okay-with-that/, accessed January 28, 2020.
- Draxtor. 2017. The Drax Files: World Makers [Episode 46: Gone Gitmo 10th Anniversary], September 19. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fk9dMYxOE6A. Accessed 30 Oct 2019.
- Fagerland, Tor Einar, and Ingeborg Hjorth. 2016. From Patriotic to Transnational Memory Reflections on the Memorial Landscape of Norway ca. 1990–2014. Heritage, Democracy and the Public: Nordic Approaches, Part 3.Google Scholar
- Griffiths, James. 2019. “World marks 30 years since Tiananmen massacre as China censors all mention.” CNN. Online, June 4, 2019. https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/03/asia/tiananmen-june-4-china-censorship-intl/index.html, accessed January 28, 2020.
- Halbwachs, Maurice. 1992 (1941). On Collective Memory. Trans. L. Coser. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Holocaust Denial. 2019. Southern Poverty Law Center. https://www.splcenter.org/fighting.hate/extremist-files/ideology/holocaust-denial
- Hoskins, Andrew. 2011. 7/7 and Connective Memory: Interactional Trajectories of Remembering in Post-Scarcity Culture. Memory Studies 4(3): 269–280. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KzR8IAYpJtrwXLu7mORaJSCs40jmt0RFITfmusdrPxo/edit
- Hucal, Sarah. 2019. When a Selfie Goes Too Far: How Holocaust Memorial Sites Around Europe Combat Social Media Disrespect. ABC News Online, March 30, 2019. https://abcnews.go.com/International/selfie-holocaust-memorial-sites-europe-combat-social-media/story?id=62025268. Accessed on 20 Oct 2019.
- Hutton, Patrick H. 1988. Collective Memory and Collective Mentalities: The Halbwachs-Ariés Connection. Historical Reflections/Réflexions Historiques 15(2): 311–322. http://www.jstor.org/stable/23232416
- Hutton P.H. 2016. Cultural Memory: From the Threshold of Literacy to the Digital Age. In The Memory Phenomenon in Contemporary Historical Writing. New York: Palgrave Macmillan. https://doi-org.ezproxy.cul.columbia.edu/10.1057/978-1-137-49466-5_4
- Joint House and Senate Hearing, 114 Congress. A Century of Denial: The Armenian Genocide and the Ongoing Quest for Justice, April 23, 2015. https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/CHRG-114jhrg95113/html/CHRG-114jhrg95113.htm
- Khao I Dang Refugee Camp. 2019. Facebook.Com. https://www.facebook.com/KhaoIDangRefugeeCampThailand/
- Libson, Quinn. 2018. Stock Photo Agencies Cash in on Khmer Rouge Tragedy. Phnom Penh Post, April 23. https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national-post-depth/stock-photo-agencies-cash-khmer-rouge-tragedy
- Mock, Karen. 2000. “Hate on the Internet.” In Human rights and the Internet (pp. 141–152). London: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Ritchin, Fred. 2010. After Photography. New York: W.W. Norton.Google Scholar
- Shuftan, Bixyl. 2019. 9/11 Memorials in Second Life. Slnewser.Blogspot.Com. https://slnewser.blogspot.com/2015/09/911-memorials-in-second-life.html
- The Cold Case Team Diary. 2019. Coldcasediary.Com. https://www.coldcasediary.com/diary
- Veix, Joe. 2019. Exploring the Digital Ruins of Second Life – Digg. Digg.Com. https://digg.com/2018/second-life-in-2018
- Who Betrayed Anne Frank? Retired FBI Agent Heads Team Trying to Solve Mystery. 2019. Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. http://www.post-gazette.com/news/world/2017/11/19/Anne-Frank-Vince-Pankoke-Retired-FBI-agent-investigation-World-War-II-mystery/stories/201711190014