Natural Disasters Risk Management in Bosnia and Herzegovina
- 18 Downloads
Bosnia and Herzegovina (B&H) is exposed to many natural hazards. Changes in hydromechanical regime, long-lasting droughts, extreme rainfalls of high intensity and short duration, as well as endogenous processes caused more and more destructive floods, torrents, earthquakes and landslides. However, in analyzing the causes that lead to the negative consequences of natural occurrences, anthropogenic activity plays a major role. In this connection, this chapter will analyze primarily the causes that lead to the negative effects of natural phenomena. When speaking about anthropogenic activity and role of the man in the increasing of the consequences of natural disasters, will be analyzed activities that are not conducted in a sector of strategic documents and spatial plans, as well as specific gaps in individual sectors of the economy. The development of a disaster risk reduction strategy, consisting of assessing the vulnerability and mapping risks from certain natural disasters, is considered important in the prevention of disasters, and will be processed in particular. Their integration into spatial plans, with the use of modern technologies (such as GIS), could greatly contribute to reducing the consequences of natural disasters.
KeywordsNatural disasters Spatial planning Risk management Risk maps and hazards
- Ademović, N., Hadzima-Nyarko, M., & Kalman Šipoš, T. (2017). Multi-hazard effect on structures. In Proceedings of the 17th International Symposium, Ohrid, Macedonia, October 4th–7th, 2017, Macedonian Association of Structural Engineers, pp. 1–10.Google Scholar
- Ademović, N. (2011). Structural and seismic behavior of typical masonry buildings from Bosnia and Herzegovina. M.Sc. thesis. University of Minho.Google Scholar
- Ademović, N. (2012). Ponašanje zidanih konstrukcija u BiH pri dejstvu zemljotresa sa stanovišta savremenih teoretskih i eksperimentalnih saznanja, Doktorska disertacija, Građevinski fakultet u Sarajevu, Univerzitet Sarajevo.Google Scholar
- Ademović, N. (2017). High magnitude earthquakes trigger landslides and floods. E-časopis Društva za geotehniku u Bosni i Hercegovini, 3, 1–9. ISSN 2303-8403.Google Scholar
- Ademović, N., Kalman Šipoš, T., & Hadzima-Nyarko, M. (2019a). Evaluation of relative seismic risk for Bosnia and Herzegovina. Bulleting of Earthquake Engineering (under review).Google Scholar
- Ademović, N., Oliveira D. V., Lourenço P. B. (2019b). Seismic evaluation and strengthening of an existing masonry building in Sarajevo. B&H, Buildings, 9(30), 1–15.Google Scholar
- BAS EN 1998-1/NA: 2018. (2018). Eurocode 8: Design of structures for earthquake resistance—Part 1: General rules, seismic actions and rules for buildings—National annex (Bosnia and Herzegovina: Institute for Standardization of Bosnia and Herzegovina).Google Scholar
- Brzev, S., Scawthorn, C., Charleson, A. W., Allen, L., Greene, M., et al. (2013). GEM Building Taxonomy Version 2.0, GEM technical report 2013-02, V1.0.Google Scholar
- Bureau of Statistics [CBS]. (2013). National population and housing census 2013 (national report). Agency for Statistics of Bosnia and Herzegovina.Google Scholar
- Council of Ministers. (2012). Procjena ugroženosti Bosne i Hercegovine od prirodnih ili drugih nesreća. Accessed 19.05.2019. http://www.msb.gov.ba/PDF/PROCJENA_UGRO%C5%BDENOSTI_BIH_07102013.pdf.
- Cummis, J. D., & Mahul, O. (2009). Catastrophe risk financing in developing countries: Principles for public intervention. Washington DC, USA: The World Bank.Google Scholar
- Framework law on the protection and rescue of people and property in the event of natural or other disasters in Bosnia and Herzegovina. (2008). Official Gazette of Bosnia and Herzegovina 50/08.Google Scholar
- Giardini, D. (Eds). (1999). The Global seismic hazard assessment program 1992–1999. Special Issue. Annali Geofis, 42(6).Google Scholar
- Giardinini, D., Woessner, J., & Danciu, L. (2013). European Seismic Hazard Map, Swiss Seismological Service (ETH Zürich, Switzerland). http://www.share-eu.org/).
- Gülerce, Z., Šalić, R., Kuka, N., Markušić, S., Mihaljević, J., Kovačević, V., et al. (2017). Seismic hazard maps for the Western Balkan. Inženjerstvo Okoliša, 4(1), 7–17.Google Scholar
- Hadžić, E., Ključanin, S., & Milišić, H. (2018). Significance of spatial planning and GIS Technology in reducing natural disaster effects. In 4th International Scientific -Professional Conference Security and Crisis management—Theory and Practice, Proceedings SeCMan-2018 (pp. 130–139). ISBN 978-86-80692-02-9, http://bekmen.rs/en/home/.
- Hadžić, E., Milišić, H., & Mulaomerović-Šeta, A. (2017). Water protection in urban areas. In 4th International Academic Conference, Places and Technologies, Sarajevo.Google Scholar
- Hadzima-Nyarko, M., Ademović, N., & Pavić, G. (2018). Procjena seizmičke oštetljivosti starih zidanih zgrada pomoću analitičke metode, Zbornik radova na VI naučno stručnom savjetovanju “Zemljotresno inženjerstvo i inženjerska seizmologija”, Savez građevinskih inženjera Srbije, 13.06.-15.06.2018., Kraljevo, Srbija, pp. 317–324.Google Scholar
- Hodžić, T., & Abdurahmanović, A. (2017). Atlas B&H, „ŠKOLSKI GEOGRAFSKI ATLAS B&H“, „BOSANSKA RIJEČ“ Tuzla.Google Scholar
- Hrvatović, H. (2010). Identifikacija i procjena geoloških hazarda-zemljotresa. http://www.msb.gov.ba/dokumenti/AB38725.pdf.
- Jimenez, M.-J., Giardini, D., & Grünthal, G. (2003). The ESC-SESAME unified hazard model for the European-Mediterranean region. EMSC/CSEM Newsletter, 19, 2–4.Google Scholar
- Jusić, S., Hadžić, E., & Milišić, H. (2019). Urban stormwater management new technologies. In 5th International Conference “New Technologies, Development and Application”, NT-2019 Sarajevo, June 27th–29th, 2019 Academy of Sciences and Arts of Bosnia and Herzegovina, Sarajevo. B&H. LNNS 76 Springer Link http://link.springer.com.
- Kaplan, H., Yilmaz, S., Akyol, E., & Sen, G. (2008). A new rapid seismic vulnerability assessment method for Turkey. In Proceedings of the 14th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering (14WCEE). October 12–17, 2008. Beijing. China, pp. 1–8.Google Scholar
- Law on ministries and other administrative bodies of B&H. (2009). Official Gazette 32/02, 5/03, 42/03, 26/04, 42/04, 45/06, 88/07, 35/09, 59/09 and 103/09.Google Scholar
- Mirjalilov, A., Sudo, K., Rashidov, T., Khakimov, S., Shaw, R., & Tyagunov, S. (2000). Radius project in Tashkent. Uzbekistan. In Proceedings of the 12th World Conference on Earthquake Engineering (12WCEE). Paper No. 2540. Auckland. New Zealand 0796, pp. 1–8.Google Scholar
- Mitchell, T. (2003). An operational framework for mainstreaming disaster risk reduction. Disaster Studies Working Paper 8, Benfield Hazard Research Centre, University College of London, London.Google Scholar
- Pinho, R. (2012). GEM: A participatory framework for open, state-of-the-art models and tools for earthquake risk assessment. In Proceedings of the 15th World Conference of Earthquake Engineering, Lisbon, Portugal, pp. 1–10.Google Scholar
- Pravilnik o tehničkim normativima za izgradnju objekata visokogradnje u seizmičkim područjima. (1981). Official Gazette of SFRJ. Tom. 31/81, 49/82, 29/83, 21/88, 52/90. Beograd.Google Scholar
- Pravilnik o tehničkim normativima za zidane zidove iz 1991. (1991). Official Gazette of SFRJ, Vol. 87. Beograd.Google Scholar
- Preliminary Flood Risk Assessment in the Sava River Basin. (2014). Sava River Commission.Google Scholar
- Risk Assessment of Bosnia and Herzegovina Regarding Natural or Other Disasters, Balkans Institute for Risk Assessment and Emergency Management, Ministry of Security of Bosnia and Herzegovina, UNDP BiH, 2011.Google Scholar
- Stojanković, M. B. (1999). Seizmička mikrorejonizacija gradskog područja Banja Luke. In International Symposium 30 years of Banja Luka earthquake (October 26-17, 1999) (Banja Luka: University of Banja Luka, pp. 66–77).Google Scholar
- Stojković, M. P. (2009). Characteristic damage degrees masonry residential structures due to the earthquake of 1969 which struck the Banja Luka Area. In Proceedings of the International Conference of Earthquake Engineering, October 26–28, 2009 (Banja Luka, Bosnia and Herzegovina, pp. 1–8).Google Scholar
- Suljić, N., Kikanović, N., & Uljić, M. (2015). Causes, damages and consequences of flood in the Area of Tuzla. In Proceedings of the Symposium: Flood Risk Management and Mitigation of Damaging Consequences, special editions, Vol. 25, Sarajevo, pp. 145–153.Google Scholar
- Trkulja, D. (2010). Seizmičnost Bosne i Hercegovine. www.msb.gov.ba/dokumenti/AB38724.pdf, https://reliefweb.int/organization/unct-bosnia-herzegovina.
- Water policy in BIH. (2011). Council of Ministers of Bosnia and Herzegovina.Google Scholar