Composite SVR Based Modelling of an Industrial Furnace
Industrial furnaces consume a large amount of energy and their operating points have a major influence on the quality of the final product. Designing a tool that analyzes the combustion process, fluid mechanics and heat transfer and assists the work done during energy audits is then of the most importance.
This work proposes a hybrid model for such a tool, having as its base two white-box models, namely a detailed Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) model and a simplified Reduced-Order (RO) model, and a black-box model developed using Machine Learning (ML) techniques.
The preliminary results presented in the paper show that this composite model is able to improve the accuracy of the RO model without having the high computational load of the CFD model.
KeywordsEnergy efficiency Industrial furnaces CFD Reduced order model Support vector regression Hybrid model
This study was funded by the Alentejo 2020, Portugal 2020 program (Contract nr: 2017/017980) and by FCT – Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (project UID/EMS/50022/2013).
- 1.ANSYS: FLUENT software. https://www.ansys.com/products/fluids/ansys-fluent. Accessed 02 Aug 2019
- 3.Cavaleiro Costa, S., et al.: Simulation of a billet heating furnace. In: V Congreso Ibero-Americano de Emprendimiento, Energía, Ambiente y Tecnología (CIEEMAT 2019), vol. 1, September 2019Google Scholar
- 6.Drucker, H., Burges, C.J.C., Kaufman, L., Smola, A.J., Vapnik, V.: Support vector regression machines. In: Mozer, M.C., Jordan, M.I., Petsche, T. (eds.) Advances in Neural Information Processing Systems, vol. 9, pp. 155–161. MIT Press, Cambridge (1997). http://papers.nips.cc/paper/1238-support-vector-regression-machines.pdfGoogle Scholar
- 8.IPS, UEv: Simulações CFD. Descriçõo de Resultados. Deliverable 3.3. Audit Furnace Project (2019)Google Scholar
- 9.Liao, Y., Wu, M., She, J.: Modeling of reheating-furnace dynamics using neural network based on improved sequential-learning algorithm. In: 2006 IEEE Conference on Computer Aided Control System Design, 2006 IEEE International Conference on Control Applications, and 2006 IEEE International Symposium on Intelligent Control, pp. 3175–3181, October 2006. https://doi.org/10.1109/CACSD-CCA-ISIC.2006.4777146
- 12.Ljung, L.: Approaches to identification of nonlinear systems. In: Proceedings of 29th Chinese Control Conference, Beijing, China, July 2010Google Scholar
- 17.Trinks, W., Mawhinney, M., Shannon, R.A., Reed, R.J., Garvey, J.R.: Industrial Furnaces. Wiley, New York (2004)Google Scholar