The Electrical Model of Multicellular Systems Based on Circuit Simulation Techniques
The paper presents the model for the evaluation of the electric field in the cellular tissue. The model in the form of an electrical network is obtained by modifying the known transport lattice model. The network parameters are defined by applying the finite volume method to the Maxwell equations for an electric field in a homogeneous medium. It is shown that the main limitation of the known form of transport lattice method is the stepped approximation of the cell surface. To eliminate the error a new approach based on projecting the steps on the membrane surface is developed. Numerical experiments by the circuit simulator confirmed the error decrease due to the proposed approach.
KeywordsCellular tissue Cell membrane Finite Volume Method Transfer function Circuit simulation Electric network
The study was financially supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research (project no. 19-29-03012).
- 1.Hodgkin, A.L., Huxley, A.F.: A quantitative description of membrane current and its application to conduction and excitation in nerve. J. Physiol. 117, 500–544 (1952)Google Scholar
- 2.Aliev, R.R.: Komp’yuternoe modelirovanie ehlektricheskoj aktivnosti serdca (in Russian: Computer Simulations of Electrical Activity of the Heart). Uspehi fiziologicheskih nauk 41(3), 44–63 (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Kalaiselvi, T., Kalaichelvi, N., Sriramakrishnan, P.: Automatic brain tissues segmentation based on self initializing K-means clustering technique. Int. J. Intell. Syst. Appl. (IJISA) 9(11), 52–61 (2017)Google Scholar
- 5.Ruparelia, V., Chakraverty, M., Desai, S.S., Harisankar, P.S.: Performance comparison of commercially available RF analog and mixed signal simulation tools using Benchmark circuits. In: Anguera, J., Satapathy, S.C., Bhateja, V., Sunitha, K.V.N. (eds.) Microelectronics, Electromagnetics and Telecommunications. LNEE, vol. 471, pp. 443–451. Springer, Singapore (2018). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-7329-8_45CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 8.Gowrishankar, T.R., Stewart, C., Weaver, J.C.: Proceedings of the of 26 Annual International Conference of the IEEE Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society, pp. 5444–5446 (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Lamberti, P., Citro, N., Egiziano, L., Tucci, V.: A coarse 3D lattice network modeling electroporation phenomenon in an excitable cell. In: 14th International Conference on Synthesis, Modeling, Analysis and Simulation Methods and Applications to Circuit Design (SMACD), pp. 1–4 (2017)Google Scholar