Genetic Algorithm for Sustainable Product Design Optimisation
- 20 Downloads
This chapter starts with the introduction of genetic algorithm (GA), including the definition of the GA optimisation, the development history and methodology of the algorithm, and its advantages and limitations, followed by the introduction of the GA tool embedded in software package MATLAB. And then the approach of sustainable product design optimisation using GA is presented, including brief information of product life cycle analysis (LCA) and life cycle impact assessment (LCIA) method/tool selection, a three-tier structure for product LCA, and the sustainable product design optimisation procedure. The approach is demonstrated with a case study using an industrial gearbox.
KeywordsOptimisation Genetic algorithm Optimisation software tools Life cycle analysis Life cycle impact assessment Gearbox
- Cambridge dictionary. (2018). Retrieved December 17, 2017, from https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/optimization.
- Choi, J. W., Lee, H., Lee, J. C., Lee, S., Kim, Y. S., Yoon, H.-J., & Kim, H. C. (2017). Application of genetic algorithm for hemodialysis schedule optimization. Computer Methods and Programs in Biomedicine, 145, 35–43, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cmpb.2017.04.003. ISSN: 0169-2607.
- Gen, M., & Cheng, R. (1997). Genetic algorithms and engineering design. New York: Willey.Google Scholar
- Geweda, A. E., El-Gohary, M. A., El-Nabawy, A. M., & Awad, T. (2017). Improvement of vehicle ride comfort using genetic algorithm optimization and PI controller. Alexandria Engineering Journal, 56(4), 405–414. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aej.2017.05.014. ISSN: 1110-0168.
- Goldberg, D. (1989). Genetic algorithms in search, optimisation and machine learning. Reading, MA: Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- Gong, G., Pan, P., Chen, X., & Yan, L. (1981). Examples of machine element and system designs for mechanical design course. Harbin, China: Harbin Institute of Technology Press.Google Scholar
- Hu, Y., Tan, C. K., Broughton, J., Paul Alun Roach, P. A., & Varga, L. (2017). Model-based multi-objective optimisation of reheating furnace operations using genetic algorithm. Energy Procedia, 142, 2143–2151. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.egypro.2017.12.619. ISSN 1876-6102.
- Lu, M., & Ye, J. (2017). Guided genetic algorithm for dome optimization against instability with discrete variables. Journal of Constructional Steel Research, 139, 149–156. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jcsr.2017.09.019. ISSN 0143-974X.
- MATLAB. Retrieved September 30, 2018, from https://uk.mathworks.com/products/matlab.html.
- Oxford Dictionaries. (2018). Retrieved October 7, 2018, from https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/.
- Ren, Z. (2013). Sustainable design approach underpinned with life cycle impact assessment (LCIA) and ontology. Ph.D. thesis, Nottingham Trent University, UK. Retrieved October 7, 2018, from http://irep.ntu.ac.uk/id/eprint/75/.
- Ren, Z. & Su, D. (2014). Comparison of different life cycle impact assessment software tools. In Key Engineering Materials (Vol. 572, pp. 44–49). EI Index doi: https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.572.44.
- Su, D. & Ren, Z. (2011). Ecological impact assessment and eco-design of industrial gearboxes. Key Engineering Materials (Vol. 486, pp. 197–200). EI Index doi: https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.486.197.
- West, A., Montazeri, A., Monk, S. D. & Taylor, C. J. (2016). A genetic algorithm approach for parameter optimization of a 7DOF robotic manipulator, IFAC-Papers On Line, 49(12), 1261–1266. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ifacol.2016.07.688. ISSN: 2405-8963.
- Zhong, Y., Wu, C., and Tang, Z., (2001). Mechanical design, Huazhong University of Science & Technology Press.Google Scholar