Algebraic Tools and New Local Indices for Water Networks:Some Numerical Examples
- 19 Downloads
Very recently, a new set of local indices for urban water networks has been proposed by the authors, within a mathematical framework which is unprecedented for this field, as far as we know. Such indices can be viewed as the “elementary bricks” that can be used to construct as many global (and local) indices as one needs or wants, where the glue, or mortar, is given by the mathematical tools of the aforementioned framework coming mostly from linear algebra and vector analysis. In this paper, after a brief description of the setting as explained above, we recover, through new formulations, some well-known global indicators like the resilience index \(I_r\) introduced by Todini. Then we also give some explicit numerical computations and examples, sometimes with the help of the hydraulic software EPANET 2.0.12.
KeywordsMathematical modeling Linear algebra Urban water networks Performance indices EPANET 2.0.12
This work is partially supported by the research projects “origAMI, Original Advanced Metering Infrastructure”, CUP J48C17000170006, POR Calabria FESR-FSE 2014–2020, and “I-BEST”, CUP B28I17000290008, PON “Innovazione e competitività” 2014/2020 MiSE Horizon 2020.
- 2.Bonora, M., Caldarola, F., Muranho, J., Sousa, J., Maiolo, M.: Numerical experimentations for a new set of local indices of a water network. In: Sergeyev, Y. D. and Kvasov, D. E. (eds.) Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference “Numerical Computations: Theory and Algorithms”. Lecture Notes in Computer Science. vol. 11973. Springer, New York (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-39081-5_42
- 6.Di Nardo, A., Di Natale, M.: A design support metodology metodology for district metering of water supply networks. Water Distrib. Syst. Anal. 2010, 870–887 (2012)Google Scholar
- 8.Di Nardo, A., Di Natale, M., Santonastaso, G.: A comparison between different techniques for water network sectorization. Water Sci. Technol.: Water Supply 14, 961–970 (2014)Google Scholar
- 10.Di Nardo, A., Di Natale, M., Santonastaso, G., Tzatchkov, V., Alcocer-Yamanaka, V.: Performance indices for water network partitioning and sectorization. Water Sci. Technol.: Water Supply 15, 499–509 (2015)Google Scholar
- 13.Maiolo, M., Martirano, G., Morrone, P., Pantusa, D.: Assessment criteria for a sustainable management of water resources. Water Pract. Technol. 1(1): wpt2006012 (2006). https://doi.org/10.2166/wpt.2006.012
- 17.Maiolo, M., Pantusa, D.: Combined reuse of wastewater and desalination for the management of water systems in conditions of scarcity. Water Ecol. 72, 116–126 (2017)Google Scholar
- 18.Maiolo, M., Pantusa, D.: Infrastructure vulnerability index of drinking water supply systems to possible terrorist attacks. Cogent Eng. 5, 1456710 (2018)Google Scholar