Chinese Digital and Mobile Platforms
- 70 Downloads
This chapter examines the characteristics of the main Chinese digital platforms. Starting with an analysis of the platforms controlled by leading players, i.e., Alibaba, Tencent, and Baidu, the emergence of new entrants including ByteDance, the developer of TikTok, is also considered. A particular focus is devoted to e-commerce as online shopping represents a primary activity for Chinese users, who mostly purchase products through mobile commerce (m-commerce) platforms. Finally, among China’s digital ecosystem, mobile payments systems represent a key function both online and offline.
KeywordsChina e-commerce m-commerce Mobile payments
- Backaler, J. (2010, April 19). Chinese e-commerce tops $38.5 billion; What comes next. ReadWrite. Retrieved November 24, 2019, from https://readwrite.com/2010/04/19/chinese_e-commerce_tops_385_billion_what_comes_next/.
- Baker, L. B., Toonkel, J., & Vlastelica, R. (2014, September 19). Alibaba surges 38 percent on massive demand in market debut. Reuters. Retrieved November 11, 2019, from https://www.reuters.com/article/us-alibaba-ipo/alibaba-surges-38-percent-on-massive-demand-in-market-debut-idUSKBN0HD2CO20140919.
- CNNIC. (2019, August). Statistical report on Internet development in China. Retrieved October 23, 2019, from https://cnnic.com.cn/IDR/ReportDownloads/201911/P020191112539794960687.pdf.
- eMarketer. (2019, July 2). Alibaba, JD.com lead in China, but a few others are making dents, too. Retrieved November 20, 2019, from https://www.emarketer.com/content/alibaba-jd-com-lead-in-china-but-a-few-others-are-making-dents-too.
- Forbes. (2010, September 12). How EBay failed in China. Retrieved November 15, 2019, from https://www.forbes.com/sites/china/2010/09/12/how-ebay-failed-in-china/#53107d935d57.
- Hines, M. (2004, August 19). Amazon buys into Chinese market. CNET. Retrieved November 24, 2019, from https://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-buys-into-chinese-market/.
- Horwitz, J. (2019, September 6). Alibaba dials up luxury push with $2 billion buy of Netease e-commerce arm. Reuters. Retrieved November 10, 2019, from https://www.reuters.com/article/us-kaola-m-a-alibaba/alibaba-dials-up-luxury-push-with-2-billion-buy-of-netease-e-commerce-arm-idUSKCN1VR02D.
- iQiyi. (2019, June 24). QIYI reaches 100 million total subscribing members milestone. Retrieved November 15, 2019, from https://ir.iqiyi.com/news-releases/news-release-details/iqiyi-reaches-100-million-total-subscribing-members-milestone.
- iResearch. (2019, July 19). China’s third-party mobile payment transactions reached 55.4 Tn Yuan in Q1 2019. Retrieved November 15, 2019, from http://www.iresearchchina.com/content/details7_56314.html.
- Lin, L., & Winkler, R. (2017, November 9). Social-media app musical.ly is acquired for as much as $1 billion. The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved November 15, 2019, from https://www.wsj.com/articles/lip-syncing-app-musical-ly-is-acquired-for-as-much-as-1-billion-1510278123.
- Liu, N., & Sheperd, C. (2019, October 20). Baidu, ByteDance and the perilous business of Chinese search. FT. Retrieved November 15, 2019, from https://www.ft.com/content/aff3c012-f184-11e9-ad1e-4367d8281195.
- Lu, L. (2018). Decoding Alipay: Mobile payments, a cashless society and regulatory challenges. Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law, 33, 40–43.Google Scholar
- Ma, X. (2019). App store Killer? The storm of WeChat mini programs swept over the mobile app ecosystem. Retrieved November 15, 2019, from https://mastersofmedia.hum.uva.nl/blog/2019/09/23/app-store-killer-the-storm-of-wechat-mini-programs-swept-over-the-mobile-app-ecosystem/.
- Reuters. (2014, October 30). Alibaba plays trademark card to protect lead as China’s $8 billion e-commerce spree nears. Retrieved November 10, 2019, from http://www.reuters.com/article/us-alibaba-group-jd-com-idUSKBN0IJ1KE20141030.
- Reuters. (2019). Baidu Inc (ADR). BIDU.O. Retrieved November 18, 2019, from https://www.reuters.com/companies/BIDU.O.
- Singh, N., & Keating, B. M. (2018). Hyper-localizing e-commerce strategy: An emerging market perspective. In Y. K. Dwivedi, N. P. Rana, E. L. Slade, M. A. Shareef, M. Clement, A. Simintiras & B. Lal (Eds.), Emerging markets from a multidisciplinary perspective. Challenges, opportunities and research agenda (pp. 89–94). Cham: Springer.Google Scholar
- Smith, C. (2014, March 11). Here’s the latest sign that China’s e-commerce market is white hot. Business Insider. Retrieved November 11, 2019, from https://www.businessinsider.com/heres-why-tencent-just-acquired-a-twenty-percent-stake-in-chinese-e-commerce-giant-jdcom-for-215-million-sai-2014-3/?IR=T&r=SG.
- Statista. (2019a). Most famous social network sites worldwide as of July 2019, ranked by number of active users (in millions). Retrieved November 11, 2019, from https://www.statista.com/statistics/272014/global-social-networks-ranked-by-number-of-users/.
- Statista. (2019b). Number of monthly active Tencent QQ IM user accounts in China from 2010 to 2018 (in millions). Retrieved November 15, 2019, from https://www.statista.com/statistics/227352/number-of-active-tencent-im-user-accounts-in-china/.
- Statista. (2019c). Number of monthly active WeChat users from 2nd quarter 2012 to 2nd quarter 2019 (in millions). Retrieved November 15, 2019, from https://www.statista.com/statistics/255778/number-of-active-wechat-messenger-accounts/.
- Statista. (2019d). Search engine market shares in China in 1st quarter 2018, by company. Retrieved November 15, 2019, from https://www.statista.com/statistics/867151/china-search-engine-market-shares-by-company/.
- Statista. (2019e). Social networks in China. Retrieved November 15, 2019, from https://www.statista.com/study/12459/social-networks-in-china-statista-dossier/.
- Steiber, A. (2018). Management in the digital age: Will China surpass Silicon Valley? Cham: Springer.Google Scholar
- The New York Times. (2019, November 12). Alibaba’s single’ day sales hit record $38 billion; growth slows. Retrieved November 15, 2019, from https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2019/11/12/business/12reuters-singles-day-alibaba-sales.html.
- The Wall Street Journal. (2003, July 16). EBay completes EachNet acquisition. Retrieved November 24, 2019, from https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB105839776895915400.
- Wildau, G. (2017, December 27). China unveils digital ID card linked to Tencent’s WeChat. FT. Retrieved November 15, 2019, from https://www.ft.com/content/3e1f00e2-eac8-11e7-bd17-521324c81e23.
- Wu, X., & Gereffi, G. (2018). Amazon and Alibaba: Internet governance, business models, and internationalization strategies. In R. van Tulder, A. Verbeke, & L. Piscitello (Eds.), International business in the information and digital age (pp. 327–356). Bingly, UK: Emerald Publishing.CrossRefGoogle Scholar